Incline Plane / Friction Problem

In summary, the block slides down an inclined plane of slope angle A with constant velocity. It is then projected up the same plane with an initial speed Vo. a) How far up the incline will it move before coming to rest? b) Will it slide down again?
Destrio
A block slides down an inclined plane of slope angle A with constant velocity. It is then projected up the same plane with an initial speed Vo.
a) How far up the incline will it move before coming to rest?
b) Will it slide down again?

So when it comes at rest, Vy = 0, Vx = 0
Since it slides down at a constant velocity, the angle must be such that the force of friction allows it to slide down without an applied force. So I believe it will slide down again.

y = Voyt - (1/2)gt^2
x = Voxt

tanA = y/x

I'm not too sure how to proceed from here, I know I will have to solve for time to get the distance in other terms

Physics news on Phys.org
Mmm. The angle is such that the force of friction coming down is EQUAL to the applied force which is mg*sin(A). The forces are equal and opposite. Going up, the frictional force and gravity will be acting in the same direction. Both down. So how high would it go compared with the frictionless case?

I believe both cases involve friction, the first just implying that the frictional force must be equal to the applied force (gravity) for it to be sliding at a constant velocity.

So going back up the forces working against it will be friction and gravity, like you said working in the same direction.

Since it is the same plane, is it safe to assume that the force of friction is still equal to the force of gravity?

Fnet = Ff + Fg
Fnet = mg*sin(A) + mg*sin(A)
Fnet = 2mg*sin(A)

Yes, if you agree with what I said.

Does that mean what you said could be false? :p

so
Fnet = Ff + Fg
Fnet = mg*sin(A) + mg*sin(A)
Fnet = 2mg*sin(A)

with that i can solve for acceleration

Fnet = ma
ma = 2mg*sin(A)
a = 2g*sin(A)

Vf^2 = Vo^2 + 2ad
0 = Vo^2 + 2(2g*sin(A))d
d = -Vo^2 /4g*sin(A)

Can I do that or do I have to mind the x and y coordinates?

Thanks

What I said could always be false. I do make mistakes. :P And if you use the form you did (energy conservation) then you don't need to worry about x and y. It looks correct to me (if you are taking g to be negative). Note that's 1/2 what you would get if the plane were frictionless. As you have twice the force acting.

Excellent
Thanks for your help :)

1. What is an incline plane?

An incline plane is a simple machine that consists of a flat surface that is sloped at an angle. It is commonly used to make it easier to move heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed to lift them vertically.

2. How does an incline plane work?

An incline plane works by spreading out the force needed to lift an object over a longer distance. This reduces the amount of force needed to lift the object. The trade-off is that the object must be moved over a longer distance to reach the same height.

3. What is friction and how does it affect an incline plane?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of objects when they are in contact with each other. When an object is placed on an incline plane, friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, making it more difficult to move the object up the incline. Friction can also cause the object to slide down the incline if it is not strong enough.

4. How do you calculate the force needed to move an object up an incline plane?

The force needed to move an object up an incline plane can be calculated using the equation F = mg sin(theta), where F is the force needed, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and theta is the angle of the incline. This equation takes into account the force of gravity and the angle of the incline, which affects the amount of force needed to overcome friction.

5. What are some real-world applications of incline planes?

Incline planes are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as ramps for wheelchair accessibility, loading ramps for trucks, and conveyor belts for moving materials in factories. They are also commonly used in construction for lifting heavy objects to higher levels, and in playgrounds for children to slide down. Incline planes are also an important concept in physics and are often used in experiments to study motion and forces.