How to Measure the Time Period of Vertical Oscillations | Exam Preparation Tips

In summary: However, if you are using a manual timer, the error may be slightly larger (on the order of tenths of a second). It is important to consider this error when making measurements and calculations to ensure accuracy in your results.In summary, the conversation discusses the process of measuring the period of vertical oscillations and estimating the number of oscillations needed to make the percentage uncertainty in the period equal to 1%. The error in timers is also mentioned and it is advised to consider this when making measurements and calculations.
MightyHound
Here is the question:

Gently displace the mass and release it so that it performs vertical oscillations. Make measurements to determine the period T of the oscillations.

+++++
So here is what I did:
Time for 20 oscillations = t1 (2 d.p)
Time for another 20 oscillations = t2 (2 d.p)

Average time for 20 oscillations = (t1 + t2)/2 (2 d.p)

Time for one oscillation, T = { (t1 + t2)/2 } / 20 ---> this is your answer correct to 1 decimal place.

Right. Next question:

Estimate the number of oscillations that would need to be timed in order to make the percentage uncertainty in T equal to 1%. Show your working.

++++++++++++++++
Let error in one reading be x

So we use the formula:

2x/T = 0.01
where T = { (t1 + t2)/2 } / N (N is the number of oscillations).

We use the above formula to find out N.

Here are my concerns:
Is the working above correct for the two questions?
What on Earth is the error in timers? (for protractors it is 1deg; for rulers it is 1mm).

Thanks friends.
I am getting that heartpounding, gutwrenching, vomit inducing exam jitters right about now. Exam is only a few days away.

I am not new to the forums here - I have been an avid view for some time now.
Thanks for all your help guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the working above is correct for the two questions. The error in timers will depend on the accuracy of the timer you are using. Generally, if you are using a digital timer, the error should be quite small (on the order of milliseconds).

I can confirm that your working for the first question is correct. To measure the time period of vertical oscillations, it is important to take multiple measurements and calculate the average to reduce errors. Your formula for finding the period, T, is also correct.

For the second question, the formula you used to estimate the number of oscillations needed to make the percentage uncertainty in T equal to 1% is also correct. The error in timers can vary depending on the type and quality of the timer being used. It is important to use a reliable and precise timer to minimize error in your measurements.

I understand that exams can be nerve-wracking, but it is important to stay calm and confident in your knowledge and preparation. Keep practicing and reviewing, and I am sure you will do well on your exam. Good luck!

1. What is a time period question?

A time period question is a question that asks about a specific period of time, usually with the intention of understanding patterns or changes over that time period.

2. How do you determine the appropriate time period for a study?

The appropriate time period for a study can be determined based on the research question and the availability of data. It is important to choose a time period that is relevant to the research question and has enough data to draw meaningful conclusions.

3. What are some common methods for analyzing time period data?

Some common methods for analyzing time period data include trend analysis, time series analysis, and comparative analysis. These methods allow for the examination of patterns and changes over time.

4. What are the limitations of using time period data in research?

One limitation of using time period data is that it may not accurately reflect the current state of a phenomenon, as it is based on past data. Additionally, the data may be subject to bias or errors, which can affect the validity of the results.

5. How can time period questions be applied in different fields of study?

Time period questions can be applied in various fields of study, such as history, sociology, economics, and environmental science. They can help researchers understand patterns and changes over time, and how these impact different aspects of society and the environment.