Calculate the maximum speed of 100g pendulum mass

In summary, the maximum speed of a simple pendulum is 1.57 m/s when it has a length of 100 cm and an amplitude of 50 cm.
Dgolverk

Homework Statement

Calculate the maximum speed of 100g pendulum mass when it has a length of 100cm and an amplitude of 50cm.

Homework Equations

I think that Eg=mgh and Ek=0.5mv^2 are related to this problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to start this problem as I don't know how to calculate the height for Eg. However I'm pretty sure that I need to use further on gh=0.5v^2 as mass cancels in this situation. Sorry that I cannot provide a full attempt, but I just don't understand part of the problem.
I just tried to solve it again and that what I got:
sqrt(g/L)
=sqrt(9.8/1)
=3.13

v(max)=(.5)(3.13)
=1.57 m/s
Anything right?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:
The speed of a simple pendulum is maximum at its center.
Also ..

v= -A * omega *cos(omega*t + phase angle ) [S.H.M. EQUATION]

At center phase angle equals zero.

Last edited:
Dgolverk said:
I'm not really sure how to start this problem as I don't know how to calculate the height for Eg.
Measure heights from the lowest point. Figure out the initial height of the mass by first figuring out its vertical distance from the support point: Consider the triangle whose hypotenuse is the length of the pendulum and whose base is the amplitude.

Draw a diagram!
However I'm pretty sure that I need to use further on gh=0.5v^2 as mass cancels in this situation.
That's what you need.

So by I found out the vertical distance from the support point is 86.6cm, however it does not make sense, if the length is 100cm wouldn't the height at rest be the same?
I can continue from here but I need explanation about the height.
Thank you again

Dgolverk said:
So by I found out the vertical distance from the support point is 86.6cm, however it does not make sense, if the length is 100cm wouldn't the height at rest be the same?
Initially the mass is 86.6 cm below the support point. So how high is it above the lowest point? (How high is the support point?)

I'm really sorry but I'm a bit confused about the wording, if the lowest point is 86.6cm then I just subtract this from 100cm therefore the height of the mass before it is released is 13.6cm? I just can't figure it out. Can you please give me a hint or some further explanation.
Thank you for you patience.

Last edited:
Dgolverk said:
I'm really sorry but I'm a bit confused about the wording, if the lowest point is 86.6cm then I just subtract this from 100cm therefore the height of the mass before it is released is 13.6cm?
Exactly!

If you are having a hard time visualizing this, draw a diagram showing the pendulum at its highest and lowest point.

Note: The highest position of the mass is 86.6cm below the support, which means it is 13.4cm above the reference point.

Last edited:
Alright! :D
So now I need to calculate Eg at h=13.6cm Ek=0 before released.
But how do I calculate the speed at the bottom?

Use conservation of energy. You already gave the correct formula.

Therefore Ek at the bottom will equal the same as Eg before release.
Ek = 0.5mv^2
Then I need to find v?

Last edited:
Exactly.

Mechanical energy is conserved, so Ek(1) + Eg(1) = Ek(2) + Eg(2). Since we measure Eg from the bottom level, Eg(2) = 0; that gives you:
Eg(1) = Ek(2)
mgh = 0.5mv^2

Thank you very much! :smile:

doc could you help me out here
I am stumped... I just sent you a report on what data I have collected this far

nope, got it now. But another note. How do I find the Acc. due to grav.?

mr.worm said:
How do I find the Acc. due to grav.?
How does the period of a pendulum depend on its length and the acceleration due to gravity?

1. How do you calculate the maximum speed of a 100g pendulum mass?

The maximum speed of a pendulum mass can be calculated using the formula: v = √(2gh), where v is the maximum speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height of the pendulum's swing.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the maximum speed of a pendulum mass?

The unit of measurement for the maximum speed of a pendulum mass is meters per second (m/s).

3. Can the maximum speed of a pendulum mass be greater than the initial velocity?

No, the maximum speed of a pendulum mass cannot be greater than the initial velocity. This is because the initial velocity is the highest speed at which the pendulum mass is released, and the maximum speed occurs at the bottom of the swing where the kinetic energy is at its highest.

4. Is the maximum speed of a pendulum mass affected by the mass of the pendulum?

Yes, the maximum speed of a pendulum mass is affected by the mass of the pendulum. A heavier pendulum mass will have a slower maximum speed compared to a lighter pendulum mass, as it requires more energy to reach the same height during the swing.

5. Can the maximum speed of a pendulum mass be calculated without knowing the height of the swing?

No, the maximum speed of a pendulum mass cannot be calculated without knowing the height of the swing. The height of the swing is a crucial factor in determining the maximum speed, as shown in the formula v = √(2gh). Without this value, the calculation cannot be accurately performed.