Gaussian infinite line charge, find force

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the force on a negative 6 microcoulomb charge located 6m from an infinite line of charge with an electric field of 20N/C. The equations used include E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r, F = kq_1q_2/r^2, and F=qE. Through applying these equations, the force is found to be 6.1*10^-5 N, away from the line of charge.
scholio
-----problem-------

an infinite line of charge produces an electric field of 20N/C at a point that is 3 meters from the line. the electric field points toward the line of charge

what is would be the force (magnitude and direction) on a negative 6 microcoulomb charge that is located 6m from the line?

-----equations/constants----

i want to use E = force/q_test but the equation does not factor distance of 6m in

but if i use the F = kq_1q_2/r^2 equation i don't know the second charge

what should i do?

thanks

electric field line of charge E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r where lambda = 3.34*10^-9C/m, epsilon_o = 8.85*10^-12, r = 6m

capacitance C = Q/V where q is charge, v is electric potential

electric field E = F/q_test = kq/r^2 where F is force, k = 9*10^9, r is distance = 6m

force F = kq_1q_2/r^2

-----attempt-----

if i use the E = F/q_test equation it does not allow me to factor in distance/radius r of 6m

but if i use the F =kq_1q_2/r^2, i don't know what the the second charge is

what equation should i use?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the electric field points toward the line of charge, the charge on the line must be negative. The electric field 20 N/C at 3 m from the line of charge is the vector sum of forces by all the charges. So you can find the field at 6 m from the line by applying inverse square law.

Use "E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r" to find lambda. You know E when r=3m. Once you have lambda, use the same formula to find E at r=6m. Once you have done that look back and think about how you could have treated this as a ratio problem and skipped actually solving for lambda.

so the inverse square law states Q/surface area = E area where Q is pt charge, since we are talking about a line charge, the surface area is the electric flux=2piLEr where L is length, E is electric field, r is radius ---> the E's cancel out though, how will i get force?

E = -6*10^-6/2piLEr where r = 6m...

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/Forces/isq.html

Last edited:
E's don't cancel out. L cancels out. What are you talking about? You have a formula "E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r". You just have to figure out how to use it.

when i did it L remained, the 2pi and r canceled out.

what would having L, the length do? do i use it as distance/radius to solve for force?

F = kq_1q_2/r^2 --> do i use L for r? i still don't have the second charge?

i think i have completely missed something

"E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r", I keep putting that in quotes because you stated it. Why don't you use it? "F = kq_1q_2/r^2" only applies to point charges. Don't use it. A continuous line charge isn't a point charge.

i did use that equation, the one in quotes, and set that equal to the E in the inverse square law. there is only one L in the inverse square law, the 2pi and r cancel but the L remains, ultimately you end up with length L.

i tried using the inverse square law except E is on the left and right side of the equation and would get canceled out, that is why i use the eq in quotes, which yielded a value for L.

or i could use F = qE and use E = equation in quotes, because equation in quotes contains r plus i know lambda and epsilon_o

i think that is the eq to get me the force

correct?

Didn't I say the inverse square law doesn't apply to things that aren't point charges? Why are you using it? You don't even need it. Yes, just use "E = lambda/2pi(epsilon_o)r" and F=qE.

yes you were right, those eq's i got what i was looking for, F = 6.1*10^-5 N, away from the line

1. What is a Gaussian infinite line charge?

A Gaussian infinite line charge is a theoretical concept in electrostatics that represents an infinitely long line of charge with a uniform charge density. It is often used in calculations and models to simplify the analysis of electric fields and forces.

2. How do you find the force on a Gaussian infinite line charge?

The force on a Gaussian infinite line charge can be calculated using the equation F = λE, where λ is the charge density and E is the electric field at a given point. The electric field can be found using the formula E = kλ/r, where k is the Coulomb constant and r is the distance from the line charge.

3. Can the force on a Gaussian infinite line charge be negative?

Yes, the force on a Gaussian infinite line charge can be negative. This would occur when the charge on the line and the test charge are of opposite signs, resulting in an attractive force.

4. How does the distance from the line charge affect the force?

The force on a test charge located at a certain distance from the Gaussian infinite line charge is inversely proportional to the distance. This means that the force decreases as the distance increases, following the inverse square law.

5. Can the force on a Gaussian infinite line charge be calculated for a point inside the line charge?

No, the force on a point inside the line charge cannot be calculated using the formula F = λE. This is because the electric field at a point inside the line charge is undefined, as it would require dividing by zero. Instead, the force can only be calculated for points outside the line charge.