Coming to terms with the velocity addition formula

In summary, the speaker has two rockets at points A and B, and plans to crash them together twice while observing safely from point C. The first time, both rockets are moving towards each other at a constant speed of 0.75c, while in the second experiment, one rocket is at rest and the other is moving towards it at 0.96c. The velocity addition formula is used to calculate the speed of B relative to A in both experiments, which is found to be 0.96c. The speaker is having trouble understanding how the same results can be produced in different reference frames. However, when accounting for time and length contraction, the discrepancy is resolved.
adimare
I have two rockets, one in point A and another in point B, I'm going to crash one against the other, twice, and I will be observing safely from my laboratory at C, which is right in the middle between A and B.

The first time the experiment takes place, I see both rockets rushing forward to one another at a constant speed of 0.75c, they meet and crash right in the middle point between A and B.

The second time, the rocket at A is at rest relative to me, and I see the other rocket moving towards it from B at a speed of 0.96c, they meet and crash at A.

Using the velocity addition formula to calculate what the speed of B relative to A was in both experiments, we'd get precisely 0.96c, which I believe means that for the rocket at A, both experiments should produce the exact same results (let's define results as the amount of damage in the ships), which means that both experiments should produce the exact same results in every reference frame.

I'm just having trouble digesting this from the reference frame of the laboratory, where the configuration of each of the two experiments seems somewhat different as to produce the exact same results. In the first experiment, considering the laboratory frame exclusively, after one meter of time has passed, the rockets are 1.5 meters closer than they were before, whereas in the second experiment, after one meter of time has gone by, they're only 0.96 meters closer to each other.

I think I'm just trying to find a way to visualize these results without having to analyze the experiments from the reference frame of either of the ships.

Physics news on Phys.org
adimare said:
I'm just having trouble digesting this from the reference frame of the laboratory, where the configuration of each of the two experiments seems somewhat different as to produce the exact same results. In the first experiment, considering the laboratory frame exclusively, after one meter of time has passed, the rockets are 1.5 meters closer than they were before, whereas in the second experiment, after one meter of time has gone by, they're only 0.96 meters closer to each other.
Have you accounted for
1] time contraction when measuring simultaniety of events?
2] length contraction of the rockets?
When you do, you should find the discrepancy evaporates.

Your observations and confusion about the velocity addition formula are completely valid. It can be difficult to wrap our minds around the idea that the same physical event can appear differently in different reference frames. However, this is a fundamental concept in special relativity and is supported by numerous experiments and observations.

The key to understanding the results of these experiments is to remember that the velocity addition formula only applies to velocities that are measured in the same reference frame. In your first experiment, both rockets are moving at 0.75c in the laboratory frame, so the velocity addition formula can be used to calculate their relative speed. However, in the second experiment, the rocket at A is at rest in the laboratory frame, so its velocity cannot be added to the velocity of the rocket at B. Instead, we must use the Lorentz transformation equations to convert the velocity of the rocket at B from the laboratory frame to the reference frame of the rocket at A. This is why we get a different result of 0.96c in the second experiment.

It may seem counterintuitive, but the results of these experiments do indeed show that the amount of damage in the ships will be the same in both reference frames. This is because the laws of physics, including the conservation of energy and momentum, hold true in all inertial frames of reference. So while the physical appearance of the events may be different, the underlying principles and final outcomes will remain the same.

In conclusion, the velocity addition formula and the concepts of relativity can be complex and challenging to understand, but they have been extensively tested and proven to accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. It takes time and practice to become comfortable with these ideas, but keep exploring and asking questions, and you will eventually come to terms with them.

1. What is the velocity addition formula?

The velocity addition formula, also known as the Galilean transformation, is a mathematical equation used to calculate the combined velocity of two objects in relative motion. It takes into account the velocities of both objects and the observer's frame of reference.

2. Why is it important to understand the velocity addition formula?

Understanding the velocity addition formula is important for accurately calculating and predicting the motion of objects in different reference frames. It is also a fundamental concept in physics and is used in many areas of science and engineering.

3. How does the velocity addition formula differ from the relativistic velocity addition formula?

The velocity addition formula is based on classical mechanics and is used to calculate velocities at low speeds. The relativistic velocity addition formula, on the other hand, takes into account the effects of special relativity and is used at high speeds approaching the speed of light.

4. Can the velocity addition formula be applied to all types of motion?

Yes, the velocity addition formula can be applied to all types of motion, including linear, circular, and rotational motion. However, it is most commonly used for linear motion.

5. Are there any limitations to the velocity addition formula?

Yes, the velocity addition formula has limitations when applied to objects moving at speeds close to the speed of light. In these cases, the relativistic velocity addition formula should be used instead. Additionally, the formula assumes that the objects are moving in a straight line and that the observer is stationary. It may not accurately predict the motion of objects in more complex scenarios.