Voltage at Halfway Point Between Point Charges in an Equilateral Triangle

In summary, we have an equilateral triangle with three point charges (+Q, +2Q, -4Q) at each vertex, and we need to determine the voltage at a point halfway between the +Q and +2Q charges. Using the equation Vnet=V1+V2+V3, we can substitute the values and simplify to get an expression for the voltage at this point. After correcting for a mistake, the final expression is Vnet=kQ[(2/L)+(4/L)-(4cos30/L)].
rissa_rue13

Homework Statement

There is an equilateral triangle with one point charge at each vertex. The point charges have charges of +Q, +2Q, and -4Q. The length of one side of the triangle is L. Determine an expression in simplest form for the voltage at a point halfway between the +Q and +2Q point charges.

Homework Equations

V=kQ/r
Vnet=V1+V2+V3

The Attempt at a Solution

Going off of Vnet=V1+V2+V3:
Vnet= (kQ/r) + (k2Q/r) - (k4Q/r)
I think once substituting the values for L in place of r, you get:
Vnet= (kQ/(L/2)) + (k2Q/(L/2)) - (k4Q/Lcos30)
Am I heading in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I made a mistake, I think it should be:
Vnet= (kQ/(L/2)) + (k2Q/(L/2)) - (k4Q/(L/cos 30))

This can then be simplified:
Vnet=kQ[(2/L)+(4/L)-(4cos30/L)]

Am I on the right track?

rissa_rue13 said:
I think I made a mistake, I think it should be:
Vnet= (kQ/(L/2)) + (k2Q/(L/2)) - (k4Q/(L/cos 30))

This can then be simplified:
Vnet=kQ[(2/L)+(4/L)-(4cos30/L)]

Am I on the right track?

The distance from the far vertex is L(cos 30). I think you were right the first time.

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

2. How is voltage related to point charge?

Point charge refers to a concentrated amount of electric charge at a single point. The voltage at a point charge is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the distance from the charge. In other words, the closer the point charge, the higher the voltage at that point.

3. How is voltage calculated for a point charge?

Voltage can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant (9 x 10^9 N m^2/C^2), Q is the magnitude of the point charge in Coulombs (C), and r is the distance from the point charge in meters (m).

4. What is the difference between voltage and electric potential?

Voltage and electric potential are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference between the two. Voltage is a measure of the potential difference between two points, while electric potential is a measure of the potential at a single point in an electric field.

5. How does voltage affect the behavior of a point charge?

The voltage at a point charge determines the strength and direction of the electric field around it. A higher voltage will result in a stronger electric field, causing the point charge to exert a greater force on other charges in its vicinity.