Solving Problem 1.8: Angular Momentum Conservation?

In summary, the problem asks for the angular momentum of a system, and it's not clear if it's conserved.
Peeter
Problem 1.8 from a Goldstein's mechanics text, is (verbatim since it's hard to describe otherwise) :

"A system is composed of three particles of equal mass m.
Between any two of them there are forces derivable from a potential

[tex]
V = -g e^{-\mu r}
[/tex]

where r is the disance between the two particles. In addition, two of the
particles each exert a force on the third which can be
obtained from a generalized potential of the form

[tex]
U = -f \mathbf{v} \cdot \mathbf{r}
[/tex]

[itex]\mathbf{v}[/itex] being the relative velocity of the interacting particles
and f a constant. Set up the Lagragian for the system, using as coordinates the
radius vector [itex]\mathbf{R}[/itex] of the center of mass and the two vectors

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\boldsymbol{\rho}_1 &= \mathbf{r}_1 - \mathbf{r}_3 \\
\boldsymbol{\rho}_2 &= \mathbf{r}_2 - \mathbf{r}_3
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Is the total angular momentum of the system conserved?"

For the Lagrangian I get:

[tex]
\mathcal{L} =
g \left(
e^{-\mu \left\vert{\boldsymbol{\rho}_1}\right\rvert}
+ e^{-\mu \left\vert{\boldsymbol{\rho}_2}\right\rvert}
+ e^{-\mu \left\vert{ \boldsymbol{\rho}_1 - \boldsymbol{\rho}_2 }\right\rvert} \right)
+ f \left(\mathbf{R} - \frac{1}{3}(\boldsymbol{\rho}_1 + \boldsymbol{\rho}_2) \right) \cdot \left( \dot{\boldsymbol{\rho}_1} + \dot{\boldsymbol{\rho}_2} \right)
[/tex]

For the part about the angular momentum conservation I'm not as sure. Since there is no external torque on the system I think that the angular momentum is conserved.

However, perhaps the idea of the problem is to show this explicitly given the Lagrangian. It's not clear to me an effective approach to do so though, as this looks like a messy calculation, and I haven't actually tried doing so.

Does anybody have any hint (which could be "suck it up, and do the calculations") for me if there is a way to show or disprove the momentum part of the question if the answer isn't just "there is no external torque".

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use Noether's theorem: How does the lagrangian transform under rotations?

Thanks for the tip Count. Noether's theorem hasn't been covered yet in the text, but I'll take a look forward (and/or in David Tong's online dynamics pdf).

1. What is Angular Momentum Conservation?

Angular momentum conservation is a law in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the amount of rotational momentum within a system does not change unless an external force is applied.

2. Why is Angular Momentum Conservation important?

Angular Momentum Conservation is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of rotating objects in a variety of natural and man-made systems. It is a fundamental principle of physics and has many practical applications, such as in understanding the motion of planets and satellites, gyroscopes, and even sports equipment like figure skates and bicycle wheels.

3. What is the formula for calculating Angular Momentum?

The formula for calculating Angular Momentum is L = Iω, where L is the angular momentum, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity. This formula shows the relationship between the rotational motion of an object and its moment of inertia, which is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion.

4. How is Angular Momentum Conserved in a system?

Angular momentum is conserved in a system when there is no external torque acting on the system. This means that the initial angular momentum of the system will remain constant throughout its motion, even if individual components of the system may have changes in their angular velocities.

5. What are some real-world examples of Angular Momentum Conservation?

Some real-world examples of Angular Momentum Conservation include the motion of planets in our solar system, the spinning of a top, and the rotation of a spinning figure skater. In each of these cases, the angular momentum of the system remains constant unless acted upon by an external force, such as the gravitational pull of other planets or the friction of the ice rink.