What are the best textbooks for self-studying medical imaging physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of medical imaging in grad school and the lack of courses in this subject at the speaker's current university. The speaker is looking for recommendations for self-study materials and suggests two textbooks, "Essential Physics of Medical Imaging" by Bushberg et al and "Physics of Radiology" by Wolbarst. They also mention using an IAEA publication, "Radiation Oncology Physics: A Handbook for Teachers and Students" for supplemental materials. Another suggestion is to look for course materials from other universities online for self-directed study. The second speaker agrees with the recommendation for Bushberg et al's book.
harvellt
Hoping to go into Medical Imaging in grad school. I have a coupleish years left of my undergrad in physics. My school doesn't offer any medical imaging classes was wondering if anyone teaches or has taken a course and could recommend a text for a little self study.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
These are two that I've used

Essential Physics of Medical Imaging by Bushberg et al (ISBN 0683301187)
Physics of Radiology by Wolbarst (ISBN 1930524226)

I took a medical physics course last year that contained a large amount of medical imaging material. We used an IAEA pdf (free) to supplement the professors course notes. Try to find the websites for some courses from other schools, most are not password protected and you can find slides which may make it easier to do self-directed study.

The IAEA publication is called "Radiation Oncology Physics: A Handbook for Teachers and Students" can be downloaded at: http://www-pub.iaea.org/MTCD/publications/PDF/Pub1196_web.pdf

Hope that helps.

I second Bushberg et al. It's a very good book.

1. What is medical imaging physics?

Medical imaging physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the use of various imaging techniques to visualize the internal structures of the human body for diagnostic and treatment purposes. It involves the principles of physics, such as radiation and wave properties, to understand how different types of medical imaging technologies work.

2. What are the different types of medical imaging physics books available?

There are several types of medical imaging physics books available, including introductory textbooks, advanced textbooks, reference books, and specialized books on specific imaging modalities such as X-ray, MRI, CT, ultrasound, and nuclear medicine.

3. How can medical imaging physics books help in understanding medical imaging techniques?

Medical imaging physics books provide a comprehensive overview of the principles, theories, and applications of different imaging techniques. They explain the underlying physics behind each technique, which helps in understanding how images are formed and how to interpret them. These books also cover the latest advancements and technologies in the field, making them a valuable resource for both students and professionals.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading medical imaging physics books?

Medical imaging physics books require a basic understanding of physics and mathematics, including concepts such as radiation, waves, and electromagnetism. Some books may also require a basic understanding of human anatomy and physiology.

5. Are medical imaging physics books only for physicists?

No, medical imaging physics books are not just for physicists. They are also useful for medical professionals, such as radiologists, radiographers, and nuclear medicine technologists, who use imaging techniques in their practice. These books are also helpful for students in the fields of medicine, radiography, and medical physics.