What is the determinant of this 5x5 matrix and how can it be calculated?

In summary, the problem is to calculate the determinant of a given matrix and the student is having difficulty understanding the method of reducing the matrix before using Laplace. After making a mistake in their calculation, the student realizes their error and with the help of the other person in the conversation, is able to correctly calculate the determinant.
mexion

Homework Statement

so my problem is to calculate the determinant of this matrix
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{ccccc}
1 & 2 & 3 & 3 & 5 \\
3 & 2 & 1 & 2 & 2 \\
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 5 \\
-1 & 0 & -8 & 1 & 2 \\
7 & 2 & 1 & 3 & 2
\end{array}\right][/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

my calculation -> http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/1120/21102009124.th.jpg
i know to use Laplace, but my teacher said me "at first you should reduce matrix to 3x3 or even 2x2 - it's easier to calculate the determinant"
but i don't understand this methode at all.
i've done this problem and my solution is -379 and i know it's wrong (correct is -224)
please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The third line of your second determinant is incorrect.

Your last determinant should be

[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc} -18 & 1\\ -50 &9\end{array}\right|[/tex]

not

[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc} -18 & 0\\ -50 &9\end{array}\right|[/tex]

yeah, my bad
but thanks now it's correct
thanks a lot :)

1. What is a determinant of a 5x5 matrix?

The determinant of a 5x5 matrix is a numerical value that can be calculated using a specific formula and represents certain properties of the matrix. It is a scalar value that can determine if a matrix is invertible and can also be used to solve systems of equations.

2. How is the determinant of a 5x5 matrix calculated?

The determinant of a 5x5 matrix can be calculated by expanding the matrix into a sum of products, using a process called cofactor expansion. This involves selecting a row or column, multiplying each element by its corresponding minor (a determinant of a smaller matrix), and then summing the products together.

3. Can a 5x5 matrix have a determinant of 0?

Yes, a 5x5 matrix can have a determinant of 0. This means that the matrix is not invertible and has linearly dependent rows or columns. It also means that the matrix cannot be used to solve systems of equations.

4. What is the significance of the determinant in linear algebra?

The determinant is an important concept in linear algebra as it can determine if a matrix is invertible, which is essential in solving systems of equations. It also represents the scaling factor of a linear transformation, and can determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent or dependent.

5. Are there any properties or rules that apply to calculating the determinant of a 5x5 matrix?

Yes, there are several properties and rules that can make it easier to calculate the determinant of a 5x5 matrix. These include the rule of scalar multiplication, the rule of row operations, and the rule of triangular matrices. Additionally, the determinant of a 5x5 matrix can also be calculated using the determinant of smaller matrices through cofactor expansion.