Simple Harmonic Motion Brain Teaser

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression of the angular frequency and amplitude of a particle undergoing simple harmonic motion in terms of given quantities, including displacement and velocity at different times. The solution to the SHM wave equation is also mentioned as a possible way to express these variables. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to apply known equations to solve for \omega and A.
cj
I saw this in an old, junior-level, classical mechanics
textbook and haven't been able to figure it out.

A particle undergoing simple harmonic motion has a velocity:

[tex]\frac{dx_1}{dt}[/tex]

when the displacement is:

[tex]x_1[/tex]

and a velocity

[tex]\frac{dx_2}{dt}[/tex]

when the displacement is:

[tex]x_2[/tex]

What is the angular frequency and the amplitude of the motion in terms of the given quantities?

I know the solution to the SHM wave equation is:

[tex]\begin{equation}
x(t) = A \cdot sin( \omega t + \phi )\end{equation}[/tex]

And that:

[tex]\begin{equation}
dx(t)/dt = A \omega \cdot cos( \omega t + \phi )\end{equation}[/tex]

But can't see how to express omega or A in these terms.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If x = A.sin(w.t) then

x1 = A sin(w.t1)
x2 = A.sin(w.t2)
dx/dt 1= A.w.cos(w.t1)
dx/dt 2 = A.w.cos(w.t2)

I am not going to do it but there appears to be enough information , to eliminate t1,t2 and get A and w.
For instance a) and c) can eliminate t1 , b) and d) eliminate t2 .

Last edited:
cj said:
But can't see how to express omega or A in these terms.
Apply what you know. I'll get you started. You are given: At time [itex]t_1[/itex] the displacement is [itex]x_1[/itex] and the speed is [itex]v_1[/itex]. (I didn't like your notation, so I changed it. :smile: )

So... just plug into your SHM equations:
[itex]x_1 = A sin(\omega t_1)[/itex]
[itex]v_1 = A \omega cos(\omega t_1)[/itex]
Combine these equations to get a relationship between [itex]\omega[/itex] and A.

Now do the same for time [itex]t_2[/itex], and then you should be able to solve for [itex]\omega[/itex] and A.

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point with a constant amplitude and a constant period.

What is an example of Simple Harmonic Motion?

An example of Simple Harmonic Motion is a mass on a spring, where the mass oscillates back and forth as the spring is compressed and stretched.

What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x(t) = A*cos(ωt + φ), where x(t) is the displacement of the object from the equilibrium point, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What factors affect Simple Harmonic Motion?

The factors that affect Simple Harmonic Motion include the mass of the object, the spring constant of the spring, and the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation.

How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to energy?

Simple Harmonic Motion is related to energy through the conservation of energy principle. The total energy of the system, which includes kinetic and potential energy, remains constant throughout the oscillation.