Minimum distance b/w projectiles

In summary, the problem involves two projectiles with known initial velocities, angles of projection, and a known distance of separation. The angles are complementary and the velocities are equal. The objective is to find the minimum distance between the projectiles. The method used involves finding the displacement vectors, subtracting them, and using the derivative to minimize the distance. However, the book does not agree with this approach. The known values are u=17.32 and angles of 30 and 60 degrees, resulting in equal ranges. The final question is what is the minimum distance between the projectiles?
aim1732
The problem is regarding two projectiles whose distance of separation is known.Their initial velocities and angle of projection are known, plus these angles are complementary and velocities are known to be equal.It is also known that the two projectiles do no colllide.
We are required to find the minimum distance b/w the projectiles.

I wrote down the displacement vectors for the two(with origin at one of the points of projection,of course).Then I subtracted them and found out the magnitude of the vector.Since this is the distance b/w them I differentiated this w.r.t time(as it is the only variable here) and put that equal to zero to minimize it.Then I put the t obtained back in the eqn. for minimum distance.
Is this right? Because the book does not think so!

Physics news on Phys.org
I read this twice and am not sure what is going on. More or better details?

Well i knew someone was going to say this.
u=17.32 for both and angles are 30,60(hence ranges are equal).
Minimum distance b/w them?

1. What is the minimum distance between projectiles?

The minimum distance between projectiles is the shortest distance that can be maintained between two objects that are being projected simultaneously. This distance is affected by several factors such as the initial velocity, angle of projection, and gravitational force.

2. How is the minimum distance between projectiles calculated?

The minimum distance between projectiles can be calculated using the formula: d = (v2sin2θ)/g, where d is the minimum distance, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the gravitational force. This formula is derived from the equations of motion.

3. What is the significance of minimum distance between projectiles?

The minimum distance between projectiles is important in determining the safety and accuracy of a projectile launch. It helps in avoiding collisions between objects and ensuring that the projectiles do not interfere with each other's paths.

4. How does air resistance affect the minimum distance between projectiles?

Air resistance can reduce the minimum distance between projectiles as it acts as a resistant force against the motion of the projectiles. This force can decrease the initial velocity and alter the trajectory of the projectiles, resulting in a shorter minimum distance.

5. Can the minimum distance between projectiles be influenced by external factors?

Yes, the minimum distance between projectiles can be influenced by external factors such as wind, air resistance, and the presence of other objects in the path of the projectiles. These factors can alter the trajectory and velocity of the projectiles, ultimately affecting the minimum distance between them.