Women and Emotional Thinking: Examining a Common Gender Stereotype

In summary: just based on how they feel in their heart, and she didn't buy your argument, what would you say to her to try and prove your point?
zoobyshoe said:
I would like to know how many women here would agree that women make decisions 'with their heart', up to the point we mention voting. (For some reason that particular example was the bone of contention.) Here, in real life, it's not at all uncommon for women I know to assert they trust their heart over logic, and to criticize men for looking at certain issues too intellectually, systematically, logically, at the expense of their emotions.

I've never understood criticisms like those. "I know you men say 2+2=4, but my emotions tell me 5 is a better number, so 2+2=5." WTF?

Physics news on Phys.org
{
300072507 said:
Yesterday I got into a discussion with a girl from school about how women are generally more emotional thinkers than men. What mean is that they base their decisions more heavily on how they feel 'in their heart' rather than possibly looking at the big picture. It's more of a personal (dare I say selfish?) kind of thing. She agreed with me, until I put the example of how women vote. Politicians can occasionally win elections because they are very attractive and good with kids. I would attribute this kind of effect to the female vote. Now, I'm not saying that men don't make stupid decisions, but they don't usually base their vote on how cool they think their candidate is.

Anyway, she still didn't buy my argument (possibly because she's a lady haha) so I told her that I would come back to her after the weekend with a better one. Any suggestions?

I'm pretty firm in my beliefs about this generalisation of women - probably because my mother is an extremely rational thinker, so growing up I was never around 'that' kind of girl, and now it REALLY pops out to me. I'd like to stress, though, that this isn't meant to be some kind of jab at women. You're all wonderful and men have their flaws too. :approve:
}

Dear OP ~ ~ ~ Humm. Let me think. As a mature adult woman I don't think about this kind of stuff nor do the women or the men I know. I will tell you this much, I think women are very intuitive and so are men to a lesser degree sometimes depending on the situation. Of course, no two people think alike. Although, my experience with men has made me realize over time that they are sensitive, intelligent, and amusing creatures. Just like females that I know as friends. The nice thing about every male that I have ever known is that they are or have been intriguing and fun loving the majority of the time. Not to say that when a bunch of us women get together we don't define the particular details of a relationship, we most full heartedly do over a bottle or two of wine or shots of tequilla. Of course, what we share with each other remains a secret. :wink:

p.s. As i get older I like to hear laughter more often.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I find the quoteAn offensive and inaccurate generalization. This puts women clearly in the "mothering role". Where is the "ability to lead, to think quickly, to make clear unemotional (rational) decisions?

Why do you think the "mothering role" is inaccurate? My rule of thumb is that the more politically correct something is, the less likely it is to be fair, scientific, accurate, or rational.

ViewsofMars said:
Although, my experience with men has made me realize over time that they are sensitive, intelligent, and amusing creatures...The nice thing about every male that I have ever known is that they are or have been intriguing and fun loving the majority of the time.
I'LL BUY THIS!

@Evo and Georgina: it's elementary that a person won't turn down a compliment even if it's in the form of an inaccurate generalization about their gender.

Has anyone been to both male and women only washrooms?

I believe female washrooms are cleaner...

rootX said:
Has anyone been to both male and women only washrooms?

I believe female washrooms are cleaner...

I have had jobs cleaning both. Your belief, from my experience, is inaccurate.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I have had jobs cleaning both. Your belief, from my experience, is inaccurate.

Do they also draw on the toilet walls/write (mostly sexual) comments?

Found an interesting blog article

http://digitalyoung.aldoiu.ro/2009/04/20/toilet-writing-practices/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
rootX said:
Do they also draw on the toilet walls/write (mostly sexual) comments?

We usually snuck into the men's washroom to do that. :wink:

I think this thread has run its course. (If it ever had one.) If the OP had made racist generalizations rather than sexist ones, it would have been closed lightning fast.

Math Is Hard said:
I think this thread has run its course. (If it ever had one.)
Pretty much downhill from the beginning.

The OP starts with some gross generalizations, which are not supported scientifically, or otherwise with any evidence.

<h2>1. What is emotional thinking and how does it differ between men and women?</h2><p>Emotional thinking refers to the tendency to make decisions and judgments based on emotions rather than logical reasoning. While both men and women are capable of emotional thinking, it is often stereotyped as a more common trait among women. However, research has shown that there is no significant difference between men and women in terms of emotional thinking.</p><h2>2. What are the origins of the stereotype that women are more emotionally driven?</h2><p>The stereotype that women are more emotionally driven can be traced back to traditional gender roles and societal expectations. Historically, women were expected to be caregivers and nurturers, while men were expected to be logical and rational. This stereotype has been perpetuated through media and cultural norms, but it is not supported by scientific evidence.</p><h2>3. How does emotional thinking impact decision-making in women?</h2><p>Emotional thinking can impact decision-making in both men and women, but it is often seen as a more negative trait in women. However, research has shown that emotional thinking can actually be beneficial in certain situations, such as when making decisions that involve empathy and understanding of others' emotions.</p><h2>4. Can emotional thinking be changed or controlled?</h2><p>Emotional thinking is a natural and normal part of human cognition, and it cannot be completely eliminated. However, individuals can learn to recognize and regulate their emotions in order to make more balanced and rational decisions. This can be achieved through techniques such as mindfulness and cognitive-behavioral therapy.</p><h2>5. How can we combat the stereotype that women are more emotionally driven?</h2><p>The first step in combatting this stereotype is to recognize that it is not supported by scientific evidence. We can also challenge this stereotype by promoting gender equality and breaking down traditional gender roles. Additionally, individuals can educate themselves and others on the harmful effects of gender stereotypes and work towards creating a more inclusive and diverse society.</p>

1. What is emotional thinking and how does it differ between men and women?

Emotional thinking refers to the tendency to make decisions and judgments based on emotions rather than logical reasoning. While both men and women are capable of emotional thinking, it is often stereotyped as a more common trait among women. However, research has shown that there is no significant difference between men and women in terms of emotional thinking.

2. What are the origins of the stereotype that women are more emotionally driven?

The stereotype that women are more emotionally driven can be traced back to traditional gender roles and societal expectations. Historically, women were expected to be caregivers and nurturers, while men were expected to be logical and rational. This stereotype has been perpetuated through media and cultural norms, but it is not supported by scientific evidence.

3. How does emotional thinking impact decision-making in women?

Emotional thinking can impact decision-making in both men and women, but it is often seen as a more negative trait in women. However, research has shown that emotional thinking can actually be beneficial in certain situations, such as when making decisions that involve empathy and understanding of others' emotions.

4. Can emotional thinking be changed or controlled?

Emotional thinking is a natural and normal part of human cognition, and it cannot be completely eliminated. However, individuals can learn to recognize and regulate their emotions in order to make more balanced and rational decisions. This can be achieved through techniques such as mindfulness and cognitive-behavioral therapy.

5. How can we combat the stereotype that women are more emotionally driven?

The first step in combatting this stereotype is to recognize that it is not supported by scientific evidence. We can also challenge this stereotype by promoting gender equality and breaking down traditional gender roles. Additionally, individuals can educate themselves and others on the harmful effects of gender stereotypes and work towards creating a more inclusive and diverse society.