Abstract Alg- Group theory and isomorphic sets.

In summary, the problem involves determining if three sets of groups are isomorphic and finding an isomorphic function for them. For set a, it is determined that the groups are isomorphic and the function f(x) = (12/5)x is used to prove it. For set b, it is determined that the groups are not isomorphic due to the difference in cardinality. For set c, it is determined that the groups are isomorphic and the function (0\mapsto id),(1\mapsto (1\;2)) is used to prove it.
oneGirlArmy

Homework Statement

I am suppose to determine if the following list of groups are isomorphic and if they are define an isomorphic function for them.
a. [5[tex]Z[/tex], +],[12[tex]Z[/tex], +] where n[tex]Z[/tex] = {nz | z[tex]\in[/tex][tex]Z[/tex]}

b. [[tex]Z[/tex]6, +6]], [S6, [tex]\circ[/tex]]

c. [[tex]Z[/tex]2, +2]], [S2, [tex]\circ[/tex]]

Homework Equations

+6 means x +6] y = the remainder of (x+y)/6

To prove not isomorphic we are suppose to show that the two sets are not one-to-one, or one is commutative while the other is not, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution

For a, I am fairly certain they are isomorphic and that the function should be f(x) = (12/5)x since it is a bijective function and f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y).

For b, My gut feeling is that it is not isomorphic however I can't find a good reason why. Perhaps because the second group is not commutative. However that answer just doesn't sit well with me.

Finally, for c I am confused because S2 = {(1,2), (2,1)} while [tex]Z[/tex]2 ={0, 1,2} so it seems like there could be an isomorphic function but I'm uncertain what that function could be without it being piecewise for each element 0, 1, and 2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're gut feeling is that one of the groups is not commutative, then try showing it by finding two elements that don't commute with each other.

Also remember that the cardinality of the groups must be the same for a bijective correspondence

A is correct.

[tex]Z_2=\left\{0,1\right\}[/tex], not [tex]\left\{0,1,2\right\}[/tex].

[tex]S_2=\left\{id,(1\;2)\right\}[/tex], and it's easy to see C is isomorphic. The function is [tex](0\mapsto id),(1\mapsto (1\;2))[/tex] (this notation is probably not right, though), and one can verify it by enumerating all possibilities.

It's also easy to see that B is not isomorphic, since the cardinality of [tex]S_6[/tex] is 720, while the cardinality of [tex]Z_6[/tex] is 6.

Last edited:
Thank you to both of you for your help.

[tex]Z_2=\left\{0,1\right\}[/tex], not [tex]\left\{0,1,2\right\}[/tex].

Thank you for point that out! I was going from my lecture notes and I had written it down wrong. This makes the problem make a lot more sense.

1. What is abstract algebra and group theory?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. Group theory is a specific area of abstract algebra that focuses on the properties and structures of groups, which are sets with a binary operation that satisfies certain axioms.

2. What are isomorphic sets in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, two sets are said to be isomorphic if there exists a one-to-one mapping between the elements of the two sets that preserves the structure and operations of the sets. This means that the two sets have the same algebraic properties, even if their elements may be represented differently.

3. Why is group theory important in mathematics?

Group theory is important in mathematics because it provides a framework for understanding and analyzing various mathematical objects, structures, and phenomena, such as symmetry, geometry, and number theory. It also has applications in diverse fields, including physics, chemistry, and computer science.

4. What are some real-world applications of abstract algebra and group theory?

Abstract algebra and group theory have numerous practical applications in the real world, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and error-correction codes. They are also used in the design and analysis of computer algorithms, data compression, and image processing.

5. What are some common misconceptions about abstract algebra and group theory?

One common misconception is that abstract algebra and group theory are only useful for pure mathematics and have no practical applications. Another misconception is that these topics are too abstract and difficult to understand. However, these theories have many practical applications and can be understood with the right level of mathematical background and practice.