Does Eddy Current Braking Violate the Conservation of Energy?

In summary, antiphon was wrong when he said that just the kinetic energy is turned into heat. The potential energy is turned into kinetic energy, electric potential energy and the potential energy at the end.
Gavroy
Hey,
I have one question about the eddy current brake, or electromagnetic induction at all. For instance, slowing a roller coaster from let me say 40m/s to 10m/s in 20m by a eddy current brake(THIS IS NO HOMEWORK!). What is about the conservation of energy in this case. can you say that E kin + Epot->E' kin + E' pot + E' therm or is this wrong? Is it valid to use the conservation of energy in this case at all? I am not sure! How do you think about this problem? I am not even sure, whether all the energy lost by the slowing down procedure goes into thermal energy?

sry about my english, but I do not live in a english-speaking country...:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The kinetic energy is turned into heat.

So you would say that the kinetic energy of the roller coaster at the beginning is turned into heat and the potential energy is turned into kinetic energy, electric potential energy and the potential energy at the end?

I just want to be sure that I understand you right!

Last edited:
or can somebody explain me more precisely which kinetic energy is transformed into heat. the initial kinetic energy or also energy of the brake procedure?

can nobody help me with my problem? :frown:

Eddy Currents are generated when something conducting moves in a Magnetic field. The brake converts the rotational energy of the wheels into eddy currents and these currents are dissipated because of electrical resistances in the conductor.
The kinetic energy deceases because of friction between the wheel and the track.If the brakes are sufficiently weak rolling will be maintained else the system will try to slide.
The kinetic and rotational energy lost will be equal to the heat lost from eddy current and friction.

okay thanks a lot, so if there is no friction then all energy is turned into heat. does this mean that antiphon was wrong, when he said that just kinetic energy is turned into heat or what happens to the potential energy, since I was talking about a roller coaster, which has also potential energy?

1. What is electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction is the process of generating an electric current in a conductor by placing it in a changing magnetic field.

2. How does electromagnetic induction work?

Electromagnetic induction works on the principle that a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a conductor. This is possible because the changing magnetic field creates a force on the electrons in the conductor, causing them to move and generate an electric current.

3. What is Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction?

Faraday's law states that the magnitude of the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

4. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic induction?

Electromagnetic induction has many practical applications, including generators, transformers, electric motors, and induction cooktops. It is also used in wireless charging, metal detectors, and magnetic levitation trains.

5. How is electromagnetic induction related to electricity and magnetism?

Electromagnetic induction is the link between electricity and magnetism. It explains how a changing magnetic field can create an electric current and vice versa. This phenomenon is governed by the laws of electromagnetism, specifically Faraday's law and Lenz's law.