Photovoltaics, Electric motors ,Solar energy. Should i go for EE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between the fields of Electrical Engineering (EE) and Mechanical Engineering (ME) and their relevance to working in the renewable energy industry, particularly with Photovoltaics (PV). It is mentioned that PV falls under EE and requires a background in Electro/Semiconductor Physics for working with semiconductor elements, while ME may be more suitable for working with electric motors and cars. However, both majors offer opportunities in renewable energy and it is suggested to research the specific courses offered by each department in order to make a decision. It is also noted that solar-powered vehicles may require a team of engineers with different backgrounds and do not necessarily require experience in PV.
AlexES16
Hello. I want to work with Photovoltaics and with the renewable industry. Electric motors, boats, cars. Is EE a good choice? I was thinking first in ME but looks like you see more of solar energy in EE. Please i need urgent advice i only left like 2 moths to make a choice.

Physics news on Phys.org
EE and ME are both very broad fields, so it really depends on what parts of these you want to study.

Photovoltaics has always been under EE as far as I know. If you want to work on the actual semiconductor elements, that would be especially under a Electro/Semiconductor Physics focus. If you're more focused on developing arrays of panels that would be more under a Power focus.

Electric motors, cars, etc I would think are more of an ME specialty.

Both majors should allow a number of opportunities in renewable energy.

Look at the two departments at the school you're planning to go to and see which major seems to offer more courses suited towards what you want to do.

Most PV researchers I've met have a physics or materials science background. Maybe some come from chemistry backrounds as well, and I'm fairly certain there are EEs around.

Electric vehicles may require EEs. There are definitely chemical engineers working on fuel cells and probably batteries.

MEs might work in concentrating solar power, but I highly doubt you'd find any in PV. MEs would work on a number of other renewables as well, such as wind power.

When you mention PV and electric vehicles (separately), are you talking about solar-powered vehicles? I know an EE who has worked on a solar-powered car as (I think) a hobby--either that or for a school competition of some sort. I don't know that there's actually much research or development going on in that area in general, but you'd probably need a team of engineers with different backgrounds, and you wouldn't really need someone with experience in PV (you'd probably just buy the best solar panels possible!)

JaWiB said:
Most PV researchers I've met have a physics or materials science background. Maybe some come from chemistry backrounds as well, and I'm fairly certain there are EEs around.

Electric vehicles may require EEs. There are definitely chemical engineers working on fuel cells and probably batteries.

MEs might work in concentrating solar power, but I highly doubt you'd find any in PV. MEs would work on a number of other renewables as well, such as wind power.

When you mention PV and electric vehicles (separately), are you talking about solar-powered vehicles? I know an EE who has worked on a solar-powered car as (I think) a hobby--either that or for a school competition of some sort. I don't know that there's actually much research or development going on in that area in general, but you'd probably need a team of engineers with different backgrounds, and you wouldn't really need someone with experience in PV (you'd probably just buy the best solar panels possible!)

Well yeah i was thinking in solar cars xD. But you would still need the EE to help with the motor and transformation of electrcity, also looks like EE see more of a subject called "Conversion of electhromechanical energy".

Niznar said:
EE and ME are both very broad fields, so it really depends on what parts of these you want to study.

Photovoltaics has always been under EE as far as I know. If you want to work on the actual semiconductor elements, that would be especially under a Electro/Semiconductor Physics focus. If you're more focused on developing arrays of panels that would be more under a Power focus.

Electric motors, cars, etc I would think are more of an ME specialty.

Both majors should allow a number of opportunities in renewable energy.

Look at the two departments at the school you're planning to go to and see which major seems to offer more courses suited towards what you want to do.

Power focus is EE right?.

1. What is the difference between photovoltaics and solar energy?

Photovoltaics is a technology that directly converts sunlight into electricity using semiconducting materials, while solar energy refers to the overall use of the sun's energy for various purposes such as heating and electricity generation.

2. How do electric motors work?

Electric motors work by using electromagnets which are powered by electricity to create rotational motion. The motion is then used to power various devices such as vehicles, household appliances, and industrial machinery.

3. What are the benefits of using solar energy?

Solar energy is a renewable and sustainable source of energy, meaning it will never run out. It also does not produce greenhouse gas emissions, making it environmentally friendly. Additionally, solar energy can save money on electricity bills in the long run.

4. How do photovoltaics impact the environment?

While the production of photovoltaic cells does have some environmental impact, such as the use of toxic chemicals, the overall use of photovoltaics reduces the reliance on non-renewable energy sources and decreases greenhouse gas emissions.

5. Is pursuing a degree in electrical engineering a good choice for a career in these fields?

Yes, pursuing a degree in electrical engineering is a good choice for a career in photovoltaics, electric motors, and solar energy. Electrical engineers have the necessary knowledge and skills to design, develop, and improve these technologies, making them critical in the advancement of these fields.