Does anyone have an idea for a self-study syllabus?

In summary: Understand it? Learn it? Get through it?Since you're apparently trying to learn the necessary math along with the physics, you might try a QM book that goes into more detail on the math. For example, this one:https://www.amazon.com/dp/0137479085/?tag=pfamazon01-20
DavidAlan
A very odd question... But never-the-less I need some help w/ my personal QM studies.
I'm just a lowly freshman here at UCSB and suddenly discovered an urge to study quantum mechanics.

My roommate is a top-notch Physics grad working on his PhD, and he helps me with problem solving; but his teaching skills are garbage! (He hates teaching and refuses to do it).

I've been working out of Griffiths for about 2-3 weeks now, normalizing probability densities, solving simple problems like the infinite square-well. Suddenly I find the material getting much more difficult and I don't know how to approach learning it. Sure I can push through everything in my path, but I honestly don't know when I've studied it enough!

Anyone got some ideas about the duration of time I should be spending on each topic in Griffiths? I'm sure many will say that I should do it until I've mastered it, but I'm kind of looking for a practical university perspective on the subject; I have no way of knowing when I have or have not mastered the material!

Maybe outlining the math I should cover between sections would help me out a bit.

I have walls upon walls of Physics literature (I collect it... don't ask why...), so don't be afraid to recommend a book.

So far I've been using Boas 2nd edition for Math and Griffiths Intro to Quantum (vol 1) for the QM.

Ideally... (and I know it's a big request), if someone could outline a syllabus based on Griffiths or Greiner for about a quarter to 2 quarters worth of material, that would be absolutely wonderful. I would truly be in debt.

Thanks for the help in advance, guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're apparently trying to learn the necessary math along with the physics, you might try a QM book that goes into more detail on the math. For example, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0137479085/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I've used it for my QM course, with students whose math background tends to be shaky. It works out a lot of stuff explicitly and discusses problem-solving strategies. Some might say it goes too far in that direction, and in fact I sometimes have trouble finding a specific topic because there's so much detail. But you also have Griffiths which you can use for the "big picture."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm Griffith's QM, let me guess, is it chapter 3 that is hard for you?

Chapter 3 isn't too bad, I have a very good set of notes on dual-spaces and Dirac notation.

I'm not having a hard time with the math; I just feel like I'm not going into great enough depths.

jtbell said:
Since you're apparently trying to learn the necessary math along with the physics, you might try a QM book that goes into more detail on the math. For example, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0137479085/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I've used it for my QM course, with students whose math background tends to be shaky. It works out a lot of stuff explicitly and discusses problem-solving strategies. Some might say it goes too far in that direction, and in fact I sometimes have trouble finding a specific topic because there's so much detail. But you also have Griffiths which you can use for the "big picture."

Holy crap I had this guy for my thermo class. Great guy, he won't let you leave his class without learning the material. Weird thing is, a lot of students dislike him BECAUSE he tries to be so helpful. He's also a join professor in the English department here at OU.

Last edited by a moderator:
DavidAlan said:
Chapter 3 isn't too bad, I have a very good set of notes on dual-spaces and Dirac notation.

I'm not having a hard time with the math; I just feel like I'm not going into great enough depths.

Suddenly I find the material getting much more difficult and I don't know how to approach learning it.

What specifically is giving you trouble?

I'm having trouble approaching how to learn the material. I can essentially learn anything I read, the problem sets have seemed rather easy thus far.

I'd like to know points to pay close attention to, or maybe points I should seek a greater depth of understanding in beyond Griffiths. Maybe understanding enough math for Griffiths isn't enough, should I seek further knowledge at this introductory phase? Can I lay back on some topics?

Maybe I should just do all of Griffiths... But that's inconceivable for a summers work (it took me 3 weeks working 4-5 hours a day to pile-drive through the first 3 chapters and understand).

When I said that the material is getting more difficult, I was meaning to imply that it is taking greater lengths of time to comprehend.

1. What is a self-study syllabus?

A self-study syllabus is a structured plan for learning a particular subject or skill on your own, without the guidance or instruction of a teacher or formal course.

2. Why would someone need a self-study syllabus?

A self-study syllabus can be helpful for individuals who are looking to learn something new or develop a skill, but may not have access to a traditional classroom setting or teacher. It allows for flexibility in learning and can be tailored to fit an individual's specific needs and goals.

3. How do I create a self-study syllabus?

Creating a self-study syllabus involves identifying your learning objectives, selecting appropriate resources and materials, and setting a schedule or timeline for completing the syllabus. It may also involve seeking guidance from experts or experienced individuals in the subject area.

4. What are some examples of self-study syllabi?

Examples of self-study syllabi could include a syllabus for learning a new language, developing a skill such as coding or graphic design, or studying for a professional certification exam. Each syllabus will vary depending on the subject and individual learning goals.

5. How can I stay motivated while following a self-study syllabus?

Staying motivated while following a self-study syllabus can be challenging, but setting specific goals, breaking the syllabus into manageable chunks, and tracking progress can help. It may also be helpful to join online communities or find a study partner for support and accountability.