Can Matter Exist in the Same Spacetime Position?

In summary, the concept of overlap in physics is a bit ambiguous and can refer to different things. However, the Pauli exclusion principle and electrical repulsion between electrons make it difficult for two particles to exist in the same place at the same time. The concept of an "overlap integral" in solid state physics can provide a clearer understanding of this. Additionally, the effects of the strong force and concepts like boson einstein condensation and tunneling also play a role in understanding overlap. It is generally assumed that matter cannot exist in the same spacetime position as other matter, but this is not yet proven and remains a topic for further research.
freewanderer
Or can it? Can one atom exist in the same spacetime position? Can one electron overlap another? Quarks?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or maybe the question is why don't forces overlap.

I think you have to define overlap. Forces can multiply, but "overlap?" It just seems a bit ambiguous...

A big part of the answer to this is the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauli_exclusion_principle" . Loosely stated, it prevents two electrons from ever being in the same place at the same time. Of course, electrons also repel each other electrically. Between these two you can see why it is hard to walk through walls.

Last edited by a moderator:
freewanderer said:
Or can it? Can one atom exist in the same spacetime position? Can one electron overlap another? Quarks?

If you look in a solid state textbook (such as Ashcroft and Mermin), look up what is called as the tight-binding band structure. There, you'll find something called the "overlap integral". That should clearly answer your question.

Zz.

Can we assume that the "strong force" works against
"nucleon overlap"?

Yeah, "overlap" is a bit of a fuzzy word. I'm for the already-mentioned overlap integral as the most correct response. I'd look into concepts like bose einstein condensation (bosons do not obey pauli and his famous principle). An even fuzzier notion in regard to "matter overlap" is tunneling. It's not as if the matter is overlapping, but in a general (and incorrect) sense, you could kinda call it that. But I wouldn't call it that around a physicist... unless you plan to walk through a wall before they can respond.

I think we can assume that he means matter existing in the same spacetime as other matter, that is to say finding a "double particle". Think of the consequences of such an event. Not compressing matter so much as making it disappear and saying it is now in the position of another, identical, particle. It's like trying to sell someone an apple and doubling the price because you can claim there are two existing simultaneously. Mind you, I won't put it beyond the realms of mathematics to prove me wrong.

1. Why do different types of matter not overlap?

Different types of matter do not overlap because they have unique properties and characteristics that determine their physical and chemical behavior. This includes factors such as atomic structure, bonding, and density which prevent matter from occupying the same space.

2. What causes matter to have distinct boundaries?

Matter has distinct boundaries because of the repulsive forces between particles. These forces prevent particles from getting too close to each other, creating empty space between them and causing matter to have defined boundaries.

3. Why can't matter be in two places at once?

This is due to the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, which state that matter can exist in a state of superposition where it has the potential to be in multiple places at once. However, when observed, the matter's wave function collapses and it is only found in one specific location.

4. How does the structure of matter affect its ability to overlap?

The structure of matter, specifically the arrangement and behavior of its particles, directly impacts its ability to overlap with other matter. For example, solid matter has a tightly packed structure that limits its ability to overlap, while gases have more space between particles and can overlap more easily.

5. Can matter ever overlap?

Yes, matter can overlap under certain conditions. For example, in nuclear fusion, the nuclei of atoms can merge together, temporarily overlapping and combining to form new elements. In addition, at the subatomic level, particles can overlap through quantum tunneling, where they can briefly exist in spaces that would normally be prohibited by their energy levels.