MSc Preliminary at Monash University: Academic Guidance & Career Help

In summary, the individual completed a Bachelor of Science in math in 2006 but has been working in the family business since then. They are now seeking guidance for a potential career in mathematics and physics. They are considering a Master of Science Preliminary at Monash University by distance education, but are also interested in using MIT and Stanford's open coursewares for self-preparation. The individual is hesitant about the usefulness of a Master of Science Preliminary on their resume and questions its high cost. They also mention the possibility of pursuing a Master of Science by research full time to improve their chances of a career in academia.
vladimir69
Hello,
This thread is probably half career and half academic guidance I am seeking. So here is the trouble:
I completed a Bachelor of Science in 2006 in maths in Australia at UNSW, and since then have been helping out with the family business, which is totally unrelated to math and do not wish to continue in the family business. My interest lies in mathematics and physics but I think it might be already too late to apply for some graduate positions unfortunately. So I was considering doing a Master of Science Preliminary at Monash University in Australia by distance education, since the closest uni is about 6 hour drive. The reason I was deciding to do the MSc Prelim at Monash Uni was because it combined coursework and a little bit of research in areas which sound of interest to me; astrophysics and computational maths to name a couple. They offer a Master of Science but it is 6 years part time and fully by research which doesn't sound too practical at the moment and very expensive, I'd prefer doing some coursework. They also offer some graduate certificate thing which is coursework but to me it sounds just like what I did in my undergraduate studies. Just wondering if anyone knew much about MSc prelim and would it be useful for putting on my resume and getting some maths related job since it doesn't come very cheap either at about $23000?
Monash appears to be about the only Uni which offers distance education in maths.

I emailed Monash asking if the MSc prelim (which I suspect it is) is just a build up for the Master of Science by research and got no response.

Thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
if you're interested in getting the knowledge to prepare yourself not the degree, why don't you use MIT's and Stanford's open course wares and save those $23000 ? While MIT OCW has an excellent list of math courses, Standford's has a wonderful one of advanced theoretical physics topics, including Leonard Susskind's lectures on relativity, quantum entanglements, cosmology, statistical mechanics, and recent advancements in particle physics.

I have completed a physics open yale course but that isn't official. Like I could just say I have watched every youtube clip on every subject in maths and physics but doesn't necessarily show how well I understood it and whether I actually did complete it or not. When I do an award course I will get a mark which will provide proof of my level of understanding.

I'm not sure about the system in Australia, but I don't think that a master degree by distant learning would help you having a career in Math. Since you are passionate about math and physics, the optimum road is to go for grad school and then try to have a position in Academia. I know that you have ruled this option out, but I would give it a second thought if I were in your place.

Putting myself in your shoes, I would give myself a year or so preparing myself using OCW's (since you graduated 4 years ago). After that I would apply for a master of science by research FULL TIME which I believe could be finished in less than 2 years. (there is also a chance that you get partial funding from the university when doing master by research, I did a similar one and I got a full tuition waver scholarship, though that was in Malaysia not Australia). After completing the master by research it would be easy to get a PhD scholarship and enjoy being in the math and physics business without costing yourself that much, specially if you managed to publish one or two journal papers during your masters. Anyway, those were my thoughts. I hope they could help.

OK Thanks for the tips I will take what you said into consideration.

Even though a job in academia would be nice, a math job of any sort would be nice. I was thinking that after 3 or 4 years potential employers will think I am no longer interested in maths and physics so by doing some award courses that will keep my knowledge up to date and show I am still interested in these areas.

Anyway thanks for your help.

1. What is the purpose of the MSc Preliminary program at Monash University?

The MSc Preliminary program at Monash University is designed to provide academic guidance and career help for students pursuing a Master of Science degree. This program helps students develop the necessary skills and knowledge to succeed in their chosen field of study and prepares them for their future academic and professional endeavors.

2. Who is eligible to participate in the MSc Preliminary program at Monash University?

Students who have completed a Bachelor's degree in a relevant field of study and have been accepted into a Master of Science program at Monash University are eligible to participate in the MSc Preliminary program. Eligibility may also depend on the specific requirements of the Master's program chosen by the student.

3. What kind of academic guidance is provided in the MSc Preliminary program at Monash University?

The MSc Preliminary program at Monash University offers a range of academic guidance services, including assistance with course selection, study skills development, and access to resources such as academic advisors and workshops. The program also provides opportunities for students to engage in research and gain practical experience in their field of study.

4. How does the MSc Preliminary program at Monash University help with career development?

The MSc Preliminary program at Monash University offers career help through various means, such as career counseling, resume and cover letter reviews, and networking opportunities. The program also offers career workshops and events to help students develop their professional skills and prepare for their future career paths.

5. Do students have to participate in the MSc Preliminary program at Monash University?

No, participation in the MSc Preliminary program at Monash University is not mandatory. However, it is highly recommended for students who want to enhance their academic and professional development and make the most out of their Master's degree experience. Students can opt out of the program if they wish, but they may miss out on valuable resources and opportunities provided by the program.