Understanding Supersaturation and Its Impact on Gravimetric Ppt

• Thread starter nautica
  • Start date
In summary, supersaturation refers to a solution having a concentration that is higher than the actual solubility at a given temperature. This can be dangerous for precipitation reactions as no precipitates will form unless a seed crystal is added. To avoid this, solutions should be prepared in larger volumes and at lower temperatures. In some cases, supersaturation can lead to the formation of a clear solution, but upon cooling or disturbance, crystals will precipitate out. Further research and understanding of this phenomenon is needed.
nautica
Why would supersaturation be undesirable in gravimetric ppt?

What measures can be taken to decrease the relative supersaturation during the ppt?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello, I needed to find the definition of the term "supersaturation" by Googling, and find this:

"A supersaturated solution is treated with a seed crystal. When introduced into the solution, the entire mass of the solution solidifies. When poured over a seed crystal, a solid mass forms on top of that crystal." from http://129.93.84.115/Chemistry/DoChem/DoChem058.html.

This gives me the idea that supersaturation is dangerous for precipitation reactions as no precipitates occur before adding some crystals outside. The best measure is to avoid preparing the solution in a very small volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is the problem that the solid mass occurs or is the problem that no ppt will form unless a seed is added??

Hi nautica,

If I´m not wrong, in a solution of A in water, supersaturation is a non-stable state where the concentration [A] is higher than the solubility at that temperature. It can be created when the solubility of A increases with temperature, you prepare a saturated solution of A at certain temperature and then start cooling the sample very slowly.

If you don´t perturb the system (that´s impossible) it doesn´t ppt, in fact it pptes very slowly. If you take the sample without care (moving it quickly or cooling too fast) you´ll see a drastic precipitation of the excess. As chem_tr said it´s used to generate well-grown cystals of A introducing a little crystal seed of A (cos the seed perturbs the solution and gives a pattern of growing for the solid to add on, must be done very slowly). But the seed is not necessary for the precipitation.

The problem with gravimetry is that when you form the insoluble salt (nothing is completely insoluble), if the reaction is made at high temperature, important part of the salt can remain solved, even cooling the sample. If supersatoration occurs you can´t assure that all the salt is ppted.

You must study the curve of salt´s solubility vs temperature. If there´s no variation, no problem. If it increases with temperature, I would try to make it at low T, or perhaps to cool it quickly after adding the reactant.

Last edited:
Hello, I had an issue with supersaturation today, and wanted to share my findings with you, especially with Nautica, of course.

My experiment involves refluxing a dicarboxylic acid in acetic anhydride, and after I finished refluxing, I did not touch the flask and kept it unattended. When I saw that very little crystals appeared in the flask, I touched the flask and moved a little bit, by gentle shaking. Then a huge formation of crystals occurred, that's, I think, involved in supersaturation.

That´s it! I think you´re right.

But i have a doubt, if you prepared the solution at normal temperature (25º) and then started heating, supposing that no solvent loose occurred with the reflux, how did concentration of dicarboxilic acid raise?

I think I'd better give one more detail; the dicarboxylic acid totally converts into the corresponding aldehyde since it reacts readily with acetic anhydride, thus converting it to acetic acid. This is not a solution, just a chemical reaction:

[tex]R-(COOH)_2 + (H_3C-C=O)_2O \xrightarrow {reflux} R-(CO)_2O + 2~CH_3COOH[/tex]

As reflux continued, a clear solution developed in the flask, and upon cooling, crystals belonging to the anhydride began to separate, the rest of which precipitated when I disturbed the somewhat supercooled system.

I´d better review my organic chemistry notes :blushing:

Those meta-stable states are quite strange aren´t they? For example, under extremely controlled conditions, it´s possible to cool pure water to some degrees below 0ºC without freezing. The system behaviour is similar, if you perturb it slightly, it freezes drastically at all the volume.

There is much to learn about them.

1. What is supersaturation?

Supersaturation is a state where a solution contains more of a dissolved substance than could normally be dissolved under normal conditions. This can happen when a solution is heated or when the solvent is removed, increasing the concentration of the dissolved substance.

2. How does supersaturation impact gravimetric ppt?

Supersaturation can impact gravimetric ppt by causing the dissolved substance to come out of solution and form a solid precipitate. This can affect the accuracy of gravimetric analysis, which relies on the measurement of the mass of a precipitate to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution.

3. What are the factors that contribute to supersaturation?

The factors that contribute to supersaturation include temperature, pressure, and the solubility of the substance in the solvent. Other factors such as the rate of solvent evaporation can also play a role in supersaturation.

4. How can supersaturation be controlled in gravimetric ppt?

To control supersaturation in gravimetric ppt, the solution can be kept at a constant temperature and pressure and the rate of solvent evaporation can be controlled. Additionally, adding a seed crystal or a small amount of the dissolved substance can help prevent excessive supersaturation.

5. What are the applications of understanding supersaturation in gravimetric ppt?

Understanding supersaturation in gravimetric ppt is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, materials science, and environmental science. It is used in analytical techniques for determining the concentration of a substance in a solution and in industrial processes for producing pure substances.