Calculating Current and Voltage in a Simple Circuit

In summary: V1 will be 0?It's better to avoid the 1/0 issue by re-writing the parallel combination equation:R = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2}}And simplify the right hand side to get the fractions out of the denominator. What equation do you get for the equivalent parallel resistance then? And see how there are no 1/0 terms now when you substitute in your values...Well i simplified it to:R_{eq}=\frac {R_{1}*R_{2}}{R_{2}+R_{1}}so plugging the numbers i
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

Calculate V1, i1, V2, and i2 in http://images3a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp733%3B4%3Enu%3D52%3A%3A%3E379%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3357955356347nu0mrj"

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) - The algebraic sum of voltages on a closed loop are equal to zero.
Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) - The algebraic sum of currents entering a node (or closed boundary) is zero.

Ohm's Law - V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current and R is resistance.

Various other things like how to add resistors in parallel and series to make a circuit simpler to understand. e.g. R1 and R2 in series are equal to

[tex] R_{eq}= R_{1}+R_{2} [/tex]

in parallel on the other hand

[tex] \frac {1}{R_{eq}}=\frac {1}{R_{1}}+\frac{1}{R_{2}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is our first homework assignment and I am just looking for some guidance here. In the figure I linked to I labeled i0 so that I could easily reference it. This should be equal to 12/4 which is 3 amps correct? and

[tex] i_{0}=i_{1}+i_{2} [/tex]

yes? That would also make V1 3*4=12 yes?

Is it necessary to combine any of the resistors to finish the problem? Also because there is no element where i1 is, would this mean there is no current usage and i1 is zero?

Thanks for any help in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Asphyxiated said:

Homework Statement

Calculate V1, i1, V2, and i2 in http://images3a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp733%3B4%3Enu%3D52%3A%3A%3E379%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D3357955356347nu0mrj"

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) - The algebraic sum of voltages on a closed loop are equal to zero.
Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) - The algebraic sum of currents entering a node (or closed boundary) is zero.

Ohm's Law - V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current and R is resistance.

Various other things like how to add resistors in parallel and series to make a circuit simpler to understand. e.g. R1 and R2 in series are equal to

[tex] R_{eq}= R_{1}+R_{2} [/tex]

in parallel on the other hand

[tex] \frac {1}{R_{eq}}=\frac {1}{R_{1}}+\frac{1}{R_{2}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is our first homework assignment and I am just looking for some guidance here. In the figure I linked to I labeled i0 so that I could easily reference it. This should be equal to 12/4 which is 3 amps correct? and

[tex] i_{0}=i_{1}+i_{2} [/tex]

yes? That would also make V1 3*4=12 yes?

Is it necessary to combine any of the resistors to finish the problem? Also because there is no element where i1 is, would this mean there is no current usage and i1 is zero?

Thanks for any help in advance

There is a dead short across R2+R3. So what is the parallel combination of the dead short and R2+R3? So what does that leave you in the circuit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well R2 and R3 are in series, i assume, no polarity sign was given for R2 so they should combine together to get 9 ohms and the definition of short circuit is a wire/connector with near perfect conductance or a resistivity near 0, right? So if the 9 ohm resistor are in parallel and you combine them 1/Req = 1/0+1/9.

I am not sure if the combined resistance does not exist or is it 9 ohms? (the reciprocal of 1/9, which would be the answer to 1/Req if you just leave out the undefined term/count as zero). Which will leave you with a 4 ohm resistor and 9 ohm resistor in series, am I going the right way?

Asphyxiated said:
Well R2 and R3 are in series, i assume, no polarity sign was given for R2 so they should combine together to get 9 ohms and the definition of short circuit is a wire/connector with near perfect conductance or a resistivity near 0, right? So if the 9 ohm resistor are in parallel and you combine them 1/Req = 1/0+1/9.

I am not sure if the combined resistance does not exist or is it 9 ohms? (the reciprocal of 1/9, which would be the answer to 1/Req if you just leave out the undefined term/count as zero). Which will leave you with a 4 ohm resistor and 9 ohm resistor in series, am I going the right way?

It's better to avoid the 1/0 issue by re-writing the parallel combination equation:

[tex]R = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2}}[/tex]

And simplify the right hand side to get the fractions out of the denominator. What equation do you get for the equivalent parallel resistance then? And see how there are no 1/0 terms now when you substitute in your values...

Well i simplified it to:

[tex] R_{eq}=\frac {R_{1}*R_{2}}{R_{2}+R_{1}} [/tex]

so plugging the numbers i get 0/9 so the combined resistivity is 0 and basically the only thing that matters is V1?

said another way, since there is a short circuit before R2 and R3 there will be no current flowing through them, right?

Asphyxiated said:
Well i simplified it to:

[tex] R_{eq}=\frac {R_{1}*R_{2}}{R_{2}+R_{1}} [/tex]

so plugging the numbers i get 0/9 so the combined resistivity is 0 and basically the only thing that matters is V1?

said another way, since there is a short circuit before R2 and R3 there will be no current flowing through them, right?

Correct. All the current flows through the short circuit. Good!

Ok so just to make sure then V1 is going to be 12v i1 is 3 amps and since there is no current through V2, it must be zero if i2 is 0, V=IR. Yeah?

Asphyxiated said:
Ok so just to make sure then V1 is going to be 12v i1 is 3 amps and since there is no current through V2, it must be zero if i2 is 0, V=IR. Yeah?

Correct-a-mundo. :smile:

thanks so much, i am flying through the rest, hope i don't jinx myself by saying this though!

1. How do I read a simple circuit diagram?

Reading a simple circuit diagram is quite straightforward. The diagram will have symbols representing different components such as batteries, resistors, and switches, along with lines connecting them. The lines represent the flow of electricity. The direction of the arrow on the line indicates the direction of the current. The components are connected in a specific order, and the circuit must be completed for electricity to flow.

2. What are the basic components of a simple circuit diagram?

The basic components of a simple circuit diagram include a power source (such as a battery), conductors (usually wires), and load (such as a light bulb). Additional components like switches, resistors, and capacitors can also be included to control the flow of electricity.

3. How do I draw a simple circuit diagram?

To draw a simple circuit diagram, you will need a pencil, ruler, and paper. Start by drawing a horizontal line to represent the ground or negative side of the circuit. Then, draw symbols for each component, placing them along the line in the order they are connected. Use straight lines to connect the components, with arrows to indicate the direction of the current. Double-check your diagram to ensure all components are connected correctly.

4. What is the purpose of a simple circuit diagram?

The purpose of a simple circuit diagram is to visually represent how electrical components are connected and how electricity flows through a circuit. It helps to understand the function of each component and how they work together to power a device. Circuit diagrams are essential for troubleshooting and designing new circuits.

5. Can I use a simple circuit diagram to build a circuit?

Yes, a simple circuit diagram can be used to build a circuit. It provides a clear and organized representation of the circuit, making it easier to gather and connect the necessary components. However, it is important to note that the diagram may not show the exact placement and size of components, so some adjustments may be needed during the building process.