Determine the molarity of NaOH used to titrate acetic acid.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining the molarity of NaOH after titrating 25mL of 0.1M acetic acid. The equivalence point is determined to be 23.99mL of NaOH added with a pH of 8.37, while the initial point is at 0mL of NaOH added with a pH of 3.07. The conversation mentions the use of the ka and kb equations, as well as the ICE table method to find the ka and pOH values. Finally, the conversation concludes that regardless of whether the acid is weak or strong, the determination of molarity is based on simple stoichiometry. The difference lies in the equivalence point pH
rss14

Homework Statement

After titrating 25mL 0.1M acetic acid with NaOH, determine the molarity of the NaOH.

Equivalence point: 23.99mL NaOH added, pH = 8.37
Initial point: 0mL of NaOH added, pH = 3.07.

Homework Equations

ka = kw/kb
kb = [CH3COOH][OH]/[CH3COO]

The Attempt at a Solution

I first determined the ka of the acetic acid using the initial data point, and making an ICE table. I found the ka to be 7.3E-6, which might be wrong, but perhaps the environment of the laboratory allowed this to happen.

Then I converted ka to kb. Then I found [OH] (and [CH3COOH]) by using pH to find pOH, then [OH].

All that was left now was [CH3COO] in the above equation. I found this to be equal to the mols of OH added (in total) / the volume of the solution (48.99mL). (I am iffy about this, this assumption might be wrong).

Then I just used algebra to isolate for mols of OH added. Then I divided that by the volume of NaOH added at the equivalence point to get its molarity. The number I got was 0.003, which seems way too low.

Thanks for any help, or tips.

Physics news on Phys.org
You found the equivalence-point pH directly from your titration and you know the titrant volume at equivalence point, so you now have what you need to find the concentration, C, of the NaOH titrant. millimoles of acetic acid (HAc) equals millimoles of NaOH:

[tex]\[
25mlHAc \cdot 0.10M\,HAc = 23.99ml\,NaOH \cdot C
\]
[/tex]

[tex]\[
25 \cdot 0.10 = 23.99 \cdot C
\]
[/tex]

Find C.

So regardless of whether the acid is a weak acid like acetic acid or a strong acid like HCl, it's just going to be a simple stoichiometric calculation?

rss14 said:
So regardless of whether the acid is a weak acid like acetic acid or a strong acid like HCl, it's just going to be a simple stoichiometric calculation?

Yes. The difference will be in the equivalence point pH, but when calculating just a result of titration, it doesn't matter - determination is based only on the stoichiometry.

Thanks,

"Yes. The difference will be in the equivalence point pH, "

Can you just elaborate on that a bit further?

What is the purpose of determining the molarity of NaOH used to titrate acetic acid?

The purpose of determining the molarity of NaOH used to titrate acetic acid is to accurately measure the concentration of acetic acid in a solution. This information can be used for various purposes such as quality control, research, and analysis.

What materials are needed to determine the molarity of NaOH used to titrate acetic acid?

The materials needed include a burette, a standardized solution of NaOH, a solution of acetic acid, an indicator (such as phenolphthalein), distilled water, and a flask or beaker to hold the solution.

How is the molarity of NaOH calculated from the titration data?

The molarity of NaOH can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of NaOH used in the titration by the volume of acetic acid solution used. The number of moles of NaOH can be determined by multiplying the volume of NaOH used by its molarity, which is typically provided by the manufacturer.

Why is it important to use a standardized solution of NaOH in the titration?

A standardized solution of NaOH means that its concentration has been accurately determined through a process of titration. This ensures that the molarity of NaOH used in the titration is known and consistent, which is crucial for obtaining accurate results.

What factors can affect the accuracy of the molarity determination in the titration?

Factors that can affect the accuracy of the molarity determination include errors in measurement, incorrect concentration of NaOH, incorrect volume of acetic acid used, and improper technique during the titration process. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and use precise and calibrated equipment to minimize these errors.