Stuck in a Liberal Arts College

In summary, if you are a transfer student stuck in a liberal arts college with limited resources for your desired major in physics, there are still ways to make the best of your situation. Take advantage of all the courses offered, including independent study options. Also, explore research opportunities at your school, even if they are not in your desired field, as they can provide valuable experience and connections with professors. Additionally, consider applying for summer REUs at other schools to expand your opportunities.
slam7211
I decided last semester to change my undergrad major to physics, the problem is, due to financial constrains (read: transfer students get no financial aid) I am kinda stuck in a liberal arts college with an underfunded physics department, actually the sciences in general are all underfunded if they exist at all here. obviously if transfer students were considered much for financial aid I would transfer ASAP, but barring that or a serious academic scholarship I am kinda stuck here. how can I make the best of this crapshoot of a situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take all the courses they offer, or at least as many of them as you can fit in. Don't take just the bare minimum of courses needed for the major (A lot of students here try to get by with that.) If there's something you want to study but there isn't a course for it, see if you can arrange an independent study course for it. Small schools tend to be more flexible about this sort of thing than large ones.

Take advantage of whatever research opportunities you have, even if they're not in the field that you'd like to do in grad school. They'll still give you experience in the research process in general, and they're a great way to develop relationships with professors which lead to good, insightful letters of recommendation.

For research areas that your school doesn't cover, look for summer REUs at other schools. That's one of the main objectives of the REU program in the first place: provide wider opportunities for students from smaller schools.

1. What is a Liberal Arts College?

A Liberal Arts College is an institution of higher education that offers a broad education in various subjects such as humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and fine arts. The curriculum is designed to provide students with a well-rounded education and critical thinking skills.

2. Are Liberal Arts Colleges only for students interested in the arts?

No, Liberal Arts Colleges offer a diverse range of majors and minors, including science, mathematics, and business. While they may have a strong emphasis on the arts, they also provide a well-rounded education in other subjects.

3. Do Liberal Arts Colleges have any advantages over other types of colleges?

Liberal Arts Colleges often have smaller class sizes, which allows for more personalized attention from professors. They also tend to have a strong sense of community and offer a wide range of extracurricular activities and opportunities for students to get involved.

4. Can I still pursue a specific career path at a Liberal Arts College?

Yes, Liberal Arts Colleges offer a variety of majors and minors that can lead to specific career paths. Additionally, the interdisciplinary nature of a Liberal Arts education can provide students with a well-rounded skill set that is highly valued by employers.

5. Are Liberal Arts Colleges more expensive than other colleges?

It depends on the specific college and its location. Some Liberal Arts Colleges may have higher tuition costs, but they may also offer more financial aid and scholarship opportunities. It is important to research and compare costs before making a decision.