REALLY NEED HELP Solving for X with radicals/square roots

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, the conversation discusses the solution to an equation involving radicals and extraneous roots. The original equation is x + 1 - 2(square root of [x+4]) = 0 and the conversation explores how to solve it using different methods. The conversation also mentions the concept of extraneous roots and how they can be introduced when squaring both sides of an equation. It also briefly touches on solving equations with absolute values on both sides.
Euphoriet
Ok so I know that when you have radicals such as the following you only have one answer right?...

x + 1 - 2(square root of [x+4]) = 0

ok so
x = 5 right?... i don't know why but it just does... I can't solve it

If i solve it

It works looks like this:
(squaring everything I get this in the end)

x^2-2x-15=0

ok so the answers for x = 5 ORRRRRRRRRRRR x = -3?

why is this so... I must be doing this wrong.. but I don't know how its done=/ please help.

if I graph them... the first one just is a l ine that just "ends" =/ and the other one is a parabula of course.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Substitute both values back into the original equation and see what you get!

I know I can do that... and I know I can prove that one doesn't work BUT is there any other way of doing it.

The way you solved it is fine but you have to realize that when you squared both sides of the equation you introduced extraneous roots. In the end, the numbers that you find must satisfy the original equation!

If the original equation is to be a function then it can only have one value for each value of x, so that means that the +ive branch of the sqrt is implied.

The x=-3 is actually a valid solution, but only if you allow the sqrt to return both plus and minus results. You can easily verify that x=-3 is indeed a solution so long as you take the sqrt(1) to be minus 1.

Be aware however that once you decide to allow for both +ive and -ive branches of that sqrt then the relationship is multi-valued and at each of the solution points (x-5 and x=-3) you have both x + 1 - 2 sqrt(x+4) = 0 and simultaneously x + 1 - 2 sqrt(x+4) != 0. This is because the relation returns two results for each value of x, one result that is zero and one result that is not.

Last edited:
Ok.. I can't really think about it over right now..

but ok what about absolute values

example abs value of (3x-2) = 2 TIMES sqr of (x+8)

How do i do that?

How about when you have just abs values on two sides of an equation?

What about when you have sqr roots of x's on both sides?

Solve separately for the two situations where 3x-2 > 0 and 3x-2 < 0 and be sure your solutions comform to those requirements.

Last edited:
Euphoriet said:
Ok.. I can't really think about it over right now..

but ok what about absolute values

example abs value of (3x-2) = 2 TIMES sqr of (x+8)

How do i do that?

abs(x) = sqrt(x^2) therefore abs(3x-2) = sqrt((3x-2)^2), this gives

sqrt((3x-2)^2) = 2*sqrt(x+8)
(3x-2)^2 = 4*(x+8)
This equation you can probably solve, be sure to check the roots ...

In general, if you square both sides of an equation or multiply both sides of an equation by something involving the unknown x, you may introduce "extraneous roots": values that satisfy the new equation but not the original one.

Obvious example: the equation x= 3 has only 3 as a root but if we multiply both sides by x-2, x(x-2)= 3(x-2) has both 3 and 2 as roots.

well i still don't fully understand it all. so does anyone have a guide that explains why only one of the answers is correct on the original problem?

Something that talks about having abs value on both sides of the equation woudl also be helpful thanks.

1. What is the general process for solving for X with radicals/square roots?

The general process for solving for X with radicals/square roots involves isolating the radical term on one side of the equation, squaring both sides to eliminate the radical, and then solving for X using basic algebraic operations.

2. Can you give an example of solving for X with radicals/square roots?

Sure, for example, if we have the equation √x = 5, we can isolate the radical by subtracting 5 from both sides, giving us √x - 5 = 0. Then, we can square both sides to eliminate the radical, giving us x - 25 = 0. Finally, we can solve for x by adding 25 to both sides, giving us x = 25.

3. What do I do if there is more than one radical in the equation?

If there is more than one radical in the equation, you can simplify the radicals first by finding their perfect square factors and then applying the general process for solving for X with radicals/square roots.

4. What happens if there are variables under the radical?

If there are variables under the radical, you will need to apply the exponent rule for radicals, which states that √xn = xn/2. This will allow you to eliminate the radical and solve for X using basic algebraic operations.

5. Are there any special cases to consider when solving for X with radicals/square roots?

Yes, there are a few special cases to be aware of. One is when the radical is on both sides of the equation, in which case you will need to isolate the radical term on one side and square both sides twice. Another is when the radical is in the denominator, in which case you will need to rationalize the denominator by multiplying the entire equation by the conjugate of the radical term.