De Broglie Hypothesis: If p → 0, Does λ → ∞?

• Thread starter newton1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    De broglie
In summary: Surely that only true until you actually measure them (i.e. look at them)Unless you are looking at a very specific type of atom that always emits photons, then you would not be able to see anything.
newton1
de Broglie hypothesis is [tex] \lambda = h/p [/tex]
how about if p tend to zero...
is it wavelength tend to infinite?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton1 said:
de Broglie hypothesis is [tex] \lambda = h/p [/tex]
how about if p tend to zero...
is it wavelength tend to infinite?

Yes, you get a constant field.

cheers,
patrick.

vanesch said:
Yes, you get a constant field.

cheers,
patrick.

what you mean by constant field? can you tell me more?

ok I have a question If I could hrienk myself down into an atomic size and particles were as big as basket balls (highly unlikly yet metaphorically) what would they look like? would they be like glass like orbs? or actual waves? or force fields?

The would be blurs of probability.

Ghetalion said:
The would be blurs of probability.

Surely that only true until you actually measure them (i.e. look at them)

They don't have any definate properties until measured. Thats my idea. Even then you can't know certain things accurately. So i guess if you are that small and look at an atom, you see something whizzing about pretty fast (in the particle sense)

Hmmm thinking about it I am struggling to imagine what i would see.

You wouldn't see anything, because an electron in a stable orbit doesn't emit light. You can't see the thing unless it's emitting photons in your direction.

Even if electrons did emit light, we wouldn't be able to understand or analyse what we saw. As Heisenberg wrote, many years ago, our bodies and brains and hence our experimental machines work only in "classical" mode and not in "quantum" mode. So trying to make sense of an essentially quantum phenomenon is not possible. We can write the equations, but I wouldn't try visualising, because it is usually wrong. If a probability cloud actually meant something to our brains, we would see them. But as Kane points out, we only see photons. So it would have to be an excited atom which returns to a lower energy eigenstate, and thus emits a photon in a random direction.

Masud.

1. What is the De Broglie hypothesis?

The De Broglie hypothesis states that all particles, including matter, have wave-like properties and can exhibit wave-particle duality. This means that particles have both wave-like and particle-like characteristics.

2. How is the De Broglie wavelength related to momentum?

The De Broglie wavelength (λ) is inversely proportional to the momentum (p) of a particle, according to the equation λ = h/p, where h is Planck's constant. This means that as the momentum of a particle decreases (p → 0), the wavelength increases (λ → ∞).

3. Why is the De Broglie hypothesis important?

The De Broglie hypothesis is important because it helps explain the wave-particle duality observed in quantum mechanics. It also provides a way to calculate the wavelength of particles, which is crucial in understanding their behavior and interactions.

4. Can the De Broglie wavelength of a particle really become infinite?

No, the De Broglie wavelength cannot actually become infinite. The equation λ = h/p is only valid for particles with mass, and as the momentum approaches zero, the wavelength approaches infinity. However, in reality, the momentum of a particle cannot be exactly zero.

5. How does the De Broglie hypothesis affect our understanding of the universe?

The De Broglie hypothesis has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics. It has helped us understand the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, and has led to the development of many important theories and principles, such as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and Schrödinger's wave equation.