What Does the Symbol Pr Mean in Probability Functions?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the understanding of the potential functions V_{i} and the symbol Pr in a paper titled "Boundary Ownership by Lifting to 2.1D". The participants discuss the meaning of the Pr symbol and its relation to the Gibbs distribution. They also mention the article "The 2.1-D Sketch" and its relevance to the topic. Overall, the conversation is focused on gaining a better understanding of the concepts presented in the paper.
Navy King
hello everyone,I'm from china,and i need your help.there are some words in a paper as follows :

The potential functions [tex]V_{i}[/tex] are defined as the negative log posterior of the two segments’ ordinal depths conditioned on the curve cues, weighted by the curve length |Ci|

And probably the symbol Pr is short for Posterior.
but what dose the Pr mean?
thank you very much!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Is it in the "The 2.1-D Sketch" paper again? I don't seem to find that symbol in there... Where exactly is it?

micromass said:
Is it in the "The 2.1-D Sketch" paper again? I don't seem to find that symbol in there... Where exactly is it?

Boundary Ownership by Lifting to 2.1D,Ido Leichter and Michael Lindenbaum

could you tell me how to understand Pr( [tex]{d_{i}}^{M}_{i=1})[/tex]

I'm very glad to meet you again.you're so friendly.

My guess is that Pr just denotes the probability function. That is, [tex]Pr(\{d_i\}_{i=1}^N)[/tex] denotes the probability that [tex]\{d_i\}_{i=1}^N[/tex] is assumed.
This makes sense because the wikipedia page on Gibbs distribution http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbs_measure looks familiar to your article.

micromass said:
My guess is that Pr just denotes the probability function. That is, [tex]Pr(\{d_i\}_{i=1}^N)[/tex] denotes the probability that [tex]\{d_i\}_{i=1}^N[/tex] is assumed.
This makes sense because the wikipedia page on Gibbs distribution http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbs_measure looks familiar to your article.

thank you again.

What does the symbol Pr mean?

The symbol Pr is the chemical symbol for the element praseodymium, which is a rare earth metal in the lanthanide series of the periodic table.

Is Pr the only symbol for praseodymium?

Yes, Pr is the only symbol used for praseodymium. It is derived from the Greek word "prasios" meaning green and "didymos" meaning twin, due to the green color of its compounds and its close association with neodymium, another rare earth element.

What are the properties of praseodymium?

Praseodymium is a soft, silvery-white metal that is highly reactive and can ignite in air. It has a high melting point and is relatively malleable and ductile. It is also strongly paramagnetic and has multiple oxidation states.

What are the common uses of praseodymium?

Praseodymium is primarily used in the production of permanent magnets, particularly in high-strength magnets for use in electric motors and generators. It is also used in alloys, glass and ceramic materials, and as a catalyst in certain chemical reactions.

Is praseodymium harmful to humans?

Praseodymium is not considered to be toxic, but it should still be handled with caution as its compounds can be irritating to the skin and eyes. Ingestion or inhalation of large amounts of praseodymium can also cause health issues, including respiratory problems and liver damage.