What are the S(x)-S(y) rotation lines?

In summary, the notation S(x)-S(y) is used to indicate the transitions between the Q, S and O branches in Raman spectra. The 0-0 S(0)-S(1) is a rotational Raman transition, while the 0-1 S(1) is a ro-vibrational transition.
amarante
Hi,

I really tried to find some explanation about this notation S(x)-S(y), but I couldn't find any! I am reading a paper about Excitation of H_2 in Photodissociation regions, and it all the time say something like:

"we find that the model can account for the first low H2 rotational line (e.g., 0-0 S(0)-S(1)) probing the bulk of the gas at moderate temperature, as well as the ro-vibrational line (e.g., 1-0 S(1)"
What are exactly the transitions 0-0 S(0)-S(1)? And the difference between them to 1-0 S(1)?

If someone could give a reference explaining this notation I would be very glad.

Thanks in advance,
Amarante

Chemistry news on Phys.org
amarante said:
Hi,

I really tried to find some explanation about this notation S(x)-S(y), but I couldn't find any! I am reading a paper about Excitation of H_2 in Photodissociation regions, and it all the time say something like:

"we find that the model can account for the first low H2 rotational line (e.g., 0-0 S(0)-S(1)) probing the bulk of the gas at moderate temperature, as well as the ro-vibrational line (e.g., 1-0 S(1)"
What are exactly the transitions 0-0 S(0)-S(1)? And the difference between them to 1-0 S(1)?

If someone could give a reference explaining this notation I would be very glad.

Thanks in advance,
Amarante

The S lines are lines for two-photon excitation processes where the change in angular momentum is +2. You may recall the R and P branches corresponding to ro-vibrational transitions with [tex]\Delta J=\pm1[/tex]? Well for two photon transitions, you can have [tex]\Delta J=0,\pm2[/tex]. These are called the Q, S and O branches.

Note that you can have a Q-branch in single-photon spectra as well, if the molecule possesses an internal rotation axis (e.g. symmetric top, asymmetric top, or spherical top molecules).

Note that since they are talking about H2, these transitions are probably Raman transitions. The 0-0 S(0)-S(1) is a rotational Raman transition (the 0-0 part is likely referring to vibrational quantum numbers). The other transition (0-1 S(1)) should be a ro-vibrational transition between the J=1 level in the ground vibrational state to the J=3 level in the excited vibrational state.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I could only find the R and P branches.

Could you recommend a book or paper explaining the Q, S and O branches? I need it, because I am preparing a seminar and I would need a reference.

Thanks,
Amarante

amarante said:
Thank you so much! I could only find the R and P branches.

Could you recommend a book or paper explaining the Q, S and O branches? I need it, because I am preparing a seminar and I would need a reference.

Thanks,
Amarante

I don't have a copy of Herzberg handy, but I am almost certain it is in there ... most everything of import pertaining to spectroscopy is in there. A textbook on Raman spectroscopy should also cover this.

Thank you for the help!

I am going to look for it

What are the S(x)-S(y) rotation lines?

The S(x)-S(y) rotation lines are a set of imaginary lines that are used to describe the rotation of an object around a fixed axis. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects.

Why are the S(x)-S(y) rotation lines important?

The S(x)-S(y) rotation lines are important because they allow scientists and engineers to understand and predict the motion of objects. By analyzing the rotation of an object, we can determine its speed, direction, and other important properties.

How do the S(x)-S(y) rotation lines work?

The S(x)-S(y) rotation lines work by using a coordinate system to describe the position and orientation of an object. The x-axis represents the horizontal direction, while the y-axis represents the vertical direction. By measuring the angle of rotation around these axes, we can determine the position of the object at any given time.

What is the difference between S(x)-S(y) rotation lines and other coordinate systems?

The S(x)-S(y) rotation lines are different from other coordinate systems because they specifically focus on the rotational motion of an object. Other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian coordinates, are better suited for describing linear motion.

How are S(x)-S(y) rotation lines used in real-world applications?

S(x)-S(y) rotation lines are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as predicting the movement of planets and spacecraft, analyzing the motion of machinery in factories, and understanding the flight patterns of airplanes. They are also essential in designing and building structures, such as bridges and buildings, to ensure their stability and safety.