Why do inductors and capacitors have voltage-current lead/lag?

• Thread starter brendan_foo
  • Start date
In summary, the reactance of a capacitor is less at greater frequencies because the change in current flow is faster, making it easier for the electrons to vibrate back and forth. This is due to the fact that a capacitor has a dielectric material that acts as an insulator, preventing the electrons from jumping between atoms and causing them to vibrate instead. This leads to less opposition to current flow at higher frequencies compared to lower frequencies. The mathematical derivation may not be enough to fully understand this concept, but thinking about the physical processes at play can help clarify it.
brendan_foo
Hi there... I know that in an inductor, its voltage will lead the current by 90 degrees and for a capacitor it wil lag the current by 90 degrees. I have seen the mathematical derivation for this too , but I can't get my head around what is actually physically happening here.

Why is the reactance of a capacitor less at greater frequencies? Whats happening with relation to the charges on the plates etc.. please someone help me, what is 'physically going on', as the mathematical derivation simply isn't enough for my curiousity...

Thanks all :rofl:
Regards
Brendan ;)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can think of it like in an inductor the voltage (pressure) must come first to overcome the inertia of the electrons in the wire; in a capacitor the current must first pile up electorns on the plates for voltage to develop across them.

Reactance in a capacitor is less at higher frequencies because it is the change in current flow that is felt and higher frequencies mean faster change.

brendan_foo said:
...Why is the reactance of a capacitor less at greater frequencies?...
The dielectric is an insulator, so the outer-shell electrons are bound to their atoms. They can't jump from one atom to another, as is the case with a conductor. So the current that flows in the dialectric is due to the electrons vibrating back and forth. They encounter less oposition if they vibrate over a short distance, than a long one, which is the case of a high frequency compared to a low one.

1. What is voltage-current lead/lag?

Voltage-current lead/lag is a phenomenon in which the voltage and current in an alternating current (AC) circuit are not in phase with each other. The voltage leads the current when the circuit contains inductance, while the current leads the voltage when the circuit contains capacitance.

2. What causes voltage-current lead/lag?

Voltage-current lead/lag is caused by the reactive components in an AC circuit, namely inductance and capacitance. These components store and release energy, leading to a phase difference between the voltage and current.

3. How is voltage-current lead/lag measured?

Voltage-current lead/lag can be measured using an oscilloscope, which displays the voltage and current waveforms. The phase difference between the two waveforms can then be calculated using the time difference between corresponding points on the waves.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding voltage-current lead/lag?

Understanding voltage-current lead/lag is important in the design and analysis of AC circuits. It allows engineers to predict the behavior of reactive components and ensure efficient power transfer. It is also relevant in fields such as power transmission, electric motors, and electronic devices.

5. How can voltage-current lead/lag be corrected?

Voltage-current lead/lag can be corrected by using components such as inductors and capacitors in the circuit. These components can be added to balance out the reactive effects and bring the voltage and current back in phase. Another method is to use power factor correction techniques, which involve modifying the circuit to reduce the reactive power and improve the power factor.