Language fails that make you angry

• Lingusitics
  • Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary: Havelock Ellis) or the myriads who have died (Aldous Huxley). There is no reason to avoid [the noun]." (Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, Merriam-Webster, 1994, ISBN 0-87779-132-5, page 657).In summary, "myriad" can be used as both a noun and an adjective to refer to a large, unspecified number of something. The use of "myriad" as a noun is not incorrect, despite recent criticism.
You left out keen and kiewl (mispronounciation of cool).

Science news on Phys.org
Very regionalized... "Don't that nice!" instead of ain't that nice or similar. You've got to live in the woods up here to pick up some of these.

zoobyshoe said:
Yeah, "hella". I didn't start hearing that till about 4 months ago. How far has it gone?

Four months ago!? :bugeye:

People started saying that when I was in middle school1 (late '90s).

1 Northern California

epenguin said:
A word that irritated me when first here was 'awesome!' Vivid and witty first time, then becomes a tiresome cliché that devalues a word. However I think it has worn off now and seems not to be heard so often.
:cry:

*points to username*

Dembadon said:

1 Northern California

Nobody in SoCal says "hella", by the way, unless they're recent transplants.

Ben Niehoff said:

"Hella tight," or even "tight" by itself, made me doubt our species' ability to survive for much longer. It sounds absolutely ridiculous.

Dembadon said:
"Hella tight," or even "tight" by itself, made me doubt our species' ability to survive for much longer. It sounds absolutely ridiculous.

I'm 21 and from the mean streets of Toronto so all of this slang is pretty normal to me. I can see easily how it might sound absolutely ridiculous but I'll take the stance that it's just efficient language that "all yall are trippin' on". #Haters

Chi Meson said:
I was going to say, "Wicked," properly used is a New England, or more specifically, a Boston thing. It's a set part of the vernacular in the way Zooby describes it, not passing, but multigenerational.
This makes sense. Someone pegged me as an East Coaster last year when I blurted it out.
Moving to another idiom, during the 80s, did anyone else experience the term "FACE!" of "FACIAL!" which was then the equivalent of today's "OWNED!" or even "PWNED!"
I never heard this one. "Own", I was aware of.

Dembadon said:

1 Northern California
Ben Niehoff said:
Seriously, I just started hearing some of the younger people I know start using "hella" about four months ago (in San Diego). They're not transplants and I'd never heard the expression before. It could be they picked it up from transplants, or that it was brought back from a trip North.

Oh, maybe it's picking up in SoCal, then. I live in LA, I hardly ever hear it...but then again, I'm a physics grad student, so I stay in my cave most of the time.

zoobyshoe said:
Seriously, I just started hearing some of the younger people I know start using "hella" about four months ago (in San Diego). They're not transplants and I'd never heard the expression before. It could be they picked it up from transplants, or that it was brought back from a trip North.
Maybe they just watched the episode of South Park where Eric Cartman uses it a lot (and his friends find it annoying).

Fredrik said:
Maybe they just watched the episode of South Park where Eric Cartman uses it a lot (and his friends find it annoying).
That would explain it. I think the people I'm speaking of are no strangers to South Park.

epenguin said:
There is another recent one struggling to get out of the back of my mind, I will let you know when it escapes.

It jumped out.

Ace!

When people use fail as an event, instead of failure; it's even harder to read when it's plural.

Doesn't the new usage of "fail" give it a different meaning than before? I would guess that it's used almost exclusively for public failures.

fail_125583994_141696688_148368196.jpg

If you put on your T-shirt backwards, you have failed, and it's a failure, but if you correct it before anyone sees it, it's not a "fail". I actually like the idea of using "fail" to mean "a failure documented for the world to see".

I see "fail" (in the context of Fredrik's pic) as a deliberately ungrammatical joke, along the lines of "I can has cheezburger" and "I know that feel, bro". I think the vast majority of people exclaiming "fail" are aware that it is not correct to use it that way, and in fact this is part of the joke. I would not say such a phenomenon has entered common usage yet as an acceptable grammatical construction.

I would agree with Fredrik. Fail as a noun is a new word with a distinct meaning. It is not a misuse of an existing word; it is the evolution of a new use of the word.

Failing a math test is not "a fail". They're different.

Evolution of the language (as opposed to mere mangling of it) is an inevitable and noble principle.

DaveC426913 said:
Evolution of the language (as opposed to mere mangling of it) is an inevitable and noble principle.
Unfortunately it sometimes evolves through mere mangling. I've been told that it's now considered acceptable to pronounce nuclear "nucular". I blame George W. Bush and Jack Bauer.

Fredrik said:
I've been told that it's now considered acceptable to pronounce nuclear "nucular".

Someone lied to you!

...I hope

Best I can tell it's supposed to be nukier. Watch at about 2:05.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhwBLE2bpnw

Turns out there's a Wikipedia page titled Nucular, that quotes several dictionaries, and also mentions both George W. Bush and Jack Bauer. :smile:

Dictionary.com appears to be saying that the "nucular" pronunciation is OK "by metathesis". Apparently that means to change the order of sounds. That doesn't make sense to me, since the dumb pronunciation adds a "you" sound.

"Fail" is a perfectly cromulent word.

Metathesis is a pretty common linguistic process. It created the modern English words "bird" and "bright" from "brid" and "beorht". Probably lots of other examples, too.

I wonder if the people who invented these pronunciations a thousand years ago were personalities similar to G.W. Bush or Homer Simpson...

Turns out that the picture I linked to is a fake. Not surprising when you think about it. It's a real screenshot, but the question asked for another name for the trachea. She answered it correctly and won 32000 GBP.

Fredrik said:
Unfortunately it sometimes evolves through mere mangling. I've been told that it's now considered acceptable to pronounce nuclear "nucular". I blame George W. Bush and Jack Bauer.
Agreed. Which is why I was making a distinction between evolution for the efficacy of the language (to express a new idea), and mere sloppiness.

Jumping into this thread after reading just the first post!

I really hate it when people misspell words like "socialize" and "aluminum". They do it ALL THE TIME. Don't you guys just hate that?

Among the people I hang out with, "fail" is really, really commonly used as a noun. It's probably a generational thing. I notice a lot of people around 18-25 use it that way.

I think I get most annoyed by words being mispronounced when a person could easily sound them out by looking at them. Jewelry, nuclear, "etc.".

DaveC426913 said:
Agreed. Which is why I was making a distinction between evolution for the efficacy of the language (to express a new idea), and mere sloppiness.
This reminds me of an episode of I Love Lucy where she is pregnant and decides that she and Ricky should learn proper English, so she hires a tutor.

The tutor tells her that there are two words she should never use, one of them is swell and the other one is lousy. So she tells him to tell her the lousy one first. :tongue2:

KingNothing said:
Among the people I hang out with, "fail" is really, really commonly used as a noun. It's probably a generational thing. I notice a lot of people around 18-25 use it that way.

*Looks at post*

*Looks at identity of original poster*

*looks at thread title*

You're trolling, right?

Char limit, you missed the part where I was heckling him. He was justifying his use in the title, not saying it makes him angry.

KingNothing, I was just heckling, I'm really not that picky about English use as long as I can understand the message.

I wasn't bothered. If anything it puts it into perspective - we all probably unknowingly do things that bug others. I never said such annoyances were rational. :)

One thing I dislike is when people pronounce "coupon" as "koo-pon" instead of "Q-pon". :rolleyes:

FtlIsAwesome said:
One thing I dislike is when people pronounce "coupon" as "koo-pon" instead of "Q-pon". :rolleyes:

"koo-pon" must be right! It comes from 'couper', to cut, pronounced 'koopay'.

Supposably
Pernounce
Eckcetera
Using "might" and "may" interchangeably

I once worked for a poorly-educated jerk (former history teacher!) who had absolutely no understanding of "consequently" or "subsequently", but he loved saying "subsequently" at the drop of a hat because it was a "big" word. Most of the time, he should have used "consequently", or should have dropped back to the mundane "because".

Last edited:
FtlIsAwesome said:

Hey, I do that! And so does everyone else here!

<h2>1. Why do language fails make me so angry?</h2><p>Language is a fundamental part of our daily communication and when it is used incorrectly, it can lead to misunderstandings and confusion. As humans, we have a natural desire for clear and effective communication, so when language fails occur, it can be frustrating and even infuriating.</p><h2>2. What are some common examples of language fails?</h2><p>Some common examples of language fails include misused words, grammatical errors, and incorrect pronunciation. For instance, using "their" instead of "there" or "your" instead of "you're" are common mistakes that can change the meaning of a sentence and cause frustration.</p><h2>3. How can language fails be avoided?</h2><p>One way to avoid language fails is to proofread and double-check your writing and speech before sharing it. Additionally, staying up-to-date with grammar rules and practicing good communication skills can also help minimize language fails.</p><h2>4. Can language fails have serious consequences?</h2><p>Yes, language fails can have serious consequences in both personal and professional settings. Miscommunication due to language fails can lead to conflicts, misunderstandings, and even harm relationships. In a professional setting, language fails can also make a negative impression and affect one's credibility.</p><h2>5. How can we respond to language fails in a positive way?</h2><p>When encountering a language fail, it is important to remain calm and address the issue politely and respectfully. Instead of getting angry or correcting the person, try to offer a helpful explanation or clarification. Remember that everyone makes mistakes and being understanding can help prevent future language fails.</p>

1. Why do language fails make me so angry?

Language is a fundamental part of our daily communication and when it is used incorrectly, it can lead to misunderstandings and confusion. As humans, we have a natural desire for clear and effective communication, so when language fails occur, it can be frustrating and even infuriating.

2. What are some common examples of language fails?

Some common examples of language fails include misused words, grammatical errors, and incorrect pronunciation. For instance, using "their" instead of "there" or "your" instead of "you're" are common mistakes that can change the meaning of a sentence and cause frustration.

3. How can language fails be avoided?

One way to avoid language fails is to proofread and double-check your writing and speech before sharing it. Additionally, staying up-to-date with grammar rules and practicing good communication skills can also help minimize language fails.

4. Can language fails have serious consequences?

Yes, language fails can have serious consequences in both personal and professional settings. Miscommunication due to language fails can lead to conflicts, misunderstandings, and even harm relationships. In a professional setting, language fails can also make a negative impression and affect one's credibility.

5. How can we respond to language fails in a positive way?

When encountering a language fail, it is important to remain calm and address the issue politely and respectfully. Instead of getting angry or correcting the person, try to offer a helpful explanation or clarification. Remember that everyone makes mistakes and being understanding can help prevent future language fails.