Volume of Solid: Use Horizontal Rec?

In summary, the problem is finding the volume of a solid bounded by y = 2 - x/2 and y = 0, x = 1, x = 2. The answer is 19pi/12. The question asks if it is possible to use horizontal rectangles instead of vertical ones, which leads to using the disk method instead of the shell method. To use the disk method, the radius is y, while for the shell method it is x = 2(2 - y). The integration must be broken up into two separate integrals. To learn more about these methods, additional resources may be needed as they were not mentioned by the teacher.
Miike012
Problem:

Find the volume of the solid:

y = 2 - x/2 bounded by y = 0, x = 1, x = 2.

Answer: 19pi/12... I already know how to get the answer but...

what if wanted to use horizontal rec? For instance If I am using the vertical rec... the radius would be y = 2 - x/2... but if I use the horizontal rec would the radius be x = 2(2 - y) ? I tryed this value and integrated from y = 0 to y = 3/2... but did not get the correct answer...

Is it not possible to get the correct answer using horiz. rec?

Attachments

• asasas.JPG
    asasas.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 349
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
Problem:

Find the volume of the solid:

y = 2 - x/2 bounded by y = 0, x = 1, x = 2.

Answer: 19pi/12... I already know how to get the answer but...

what if wanted to use horizontal rec? For instance If I am using the vertical rec... the radius would be y = 2 - x/2... but if I use the horizontal rec would the radius be x = 2(2 - y) ? I tryed this value and integrated from y = 0 to y = 3/2... but did not get the correct answer...

Is it not possible to get the correct answer using horiz. rec?

Are you rotating this trapezoid around the x-axis to form the solid of revolution?

If so, then integrating w.r.t x is the disk method.

Integrating w.r.t. y is the shell method (cylindrical shells), so the radius is y itself. You will have to break the integration up into sum of two integrals.

Yes I am rotating across the x-axis. So is it possible to use horizontal rec?

Last edited:
Where can I learn about the shell and disk method? My teacher didnt mention these techniques.

What is the formula for calculating the volume of a solid using horizontal rectangles?

The formula for calculating the volume of a solid using horizontal rectangles is V = A * h, where A is the area of the base and h is the height of the solid.

How do you find the area of the base in this formula?

The area of the base can be calculated by multiplying the length and width of the base, or by using the appropriate formula for the shape of the base (e.g. A = πr^2 for a circular base).

What is the purpose of using horizontal rectangles to find the volume of a solid?

Horizontal rectangles are used to find the volume of a solid because they allow for an accurate measurement of the volume, even for irregularly shaped solids.

Do all solids have a horizontal rectangular base?

No, not all solids have a horizontal rectangular base. Some solids may have a circular, triangular, or other irregularly shaped base, but the formula for calculating the volume using horizontal rectangles can still be applied.

Can this method be used for finding the volume of liquids as well?

No, this method is specifically for calculating the volume of solids. To find the volume of a liquid, you would need to use a different formula, such as V = lwh, where l is the length, w is the width, and h is the height of the liquid.