Calculating Coefficient of Friction In the System

In summary, at an angle of 30 degrees the crates start to slip down. The coefficient of friction between the crates and belt is 1.73.
junkie_ball

Homework Statement

When the converyor belt was first installed safety checks were carried out to determine the limit of angle for safety. It was found that at an angle of 30 degrees the crates start to slip down.

Calculate the coefficient of friction between the crates and the belt? (Diagram as shown in the question attached) I also assume they are looking for the static coefficient not the slipping as the question isn't very clear?

Homework Equations

Friction = Pressing Force x Constant

or μ= Pressing Force/Friction

The Attempt at a Solution

Vertical force acting on the crate (H in my free body diagram)

H = Gravity x mass
H = 9.81 x 200
H = 1962N

Parallel downwards to the surface of the plane force acting on the crate (O in my free body digram)

O = H x Sin θ
O = 1962 x Sin 30
O = 981N

Therefore i can assume the friction force acting in the opposite direction to 'O' is 981N

Force acting into the surface of the plane (A in my free body diagram)

A = H x Cos θ
A = 1962 x Cos 30
A = 1699.14N

This is my pressing force.

To calculate the coefficient of friction between the crates and belt is

μ = 1699.14 / 981
μ = 1.73

This is my first attempt at calculating a coefficient do would really appreciate if someone could review this and check I'm on the right lines.

Attachments

• Conveyor Belt Diagram In Question.doc
    144 KB · Views: 220
  • Free Body Digram.doc
    147 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Max Static friction is given by (μs*normal force), normal force in your diagram is "A" so set O=A and solve for μs. Looks good, up until the end. You have 1699.14/981 flipped, should be 981/1699.14. However its best to solve the problem in variables first and then plug in your values at the end. In this problem (mg) drops out and it simplifies nicely.

Last edited:
climb515c said:
Max Static friction is given by (μs*normal force), normal force in your diagram is "A" so set O=A and solve for μs. Looks good, up until the end. You have 1699.14/981 flipped, should be 981/1699.14. However its best to solve the problem in variables first and then plug in your values at the end. In this problem (mg) drops out and it simplifies nicely.

Hi thanks for the reply i see where i mixed my final equation up. I took a quick glance at my course material and they have written the equation back to front. I'm starting to seriously worry about the quality of the course materials with the errors i have come across so far.

1. What is the coefficient of friction in a system?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is used to calculate the force required to move one surface over the other.

2. How is the coefficient of friction calculated?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the force required to move one surface over another by the normal force between the two surfaces. This can be expressed as μ = F/N, where μ is the coefficient of friction, F is the force of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction in a system?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the type of material the surfaces are made of, the temperature of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

4. How does the coefficient of friction impact the movement of objects?

The coefficient of friction determines the amount of force required to move one surface over another. A higher coefficient of friction means that more force is needed to overcome the resistance between the two surfaces, making movement more difficult.

5. Can the coefficient of friction be changed?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can be changed by altering the factors that affect it. For example, using a lubricant can reduce the coefficient of friction between two surfaces, making movement easier. Additionally, changing the materials or surface textures can also affect the coefficient of friction.