Find foci, vertices and asymptotes of the hyperbola.

• Thread starter StudentofSci
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hyperbola
In summary, you have correctly found the center, foci, and vertices of the hyperbola and have also correctly used the equation for finding the asymptotes. You just made a few small errors when completing the square and rewriting the equation into the form of (x-h)^2/a^2-(y-k)^2/b^2=1. Keep practicing and you will continue to improve!
StudentofSci

Homework Statement

Find the asymptotes, vertices, and foci of the hyperbola. 4x^2-y^2-24x-4y+28=0

Homework Equations

(x-h)^2/a^2-(y-k)^2/b^2=1, asymptotes= k± (b/a)(x-h), vertices ± a from center, foci ± c from center, c^2=a^2+b^2, center= (h,k).

The Attempt at a Solution

I begin by rewriting the equation of 4x^2-y^2-24x-4y+28=0.
as: 4x^2-24x-y^2-4y=-28
Then I complete the square for each segment (x/y) which ends up as 4(x-3)^2-9 and -(y+2)^2-4.
Rewrite this into the orginal equation as 4(x-3)^2-(y+2)^2=-28+36-4
4(x-3)^2-(y+2)^2=4
I then rewrite this in the form of (x-h)^2/a^2-(y-k)^2/b^2=1
thus (x-3)^2/1-(y+2)^2/4=1
I have now found that a^2=1 and b^2=4 thus, a=1, and b=2
Now I solve for the questions asked
I have the center at (h,k) being (3, -2)
C^2=a^2+b^2, =1+4=5, C=√5
foci are equal to (3±√ 5, -2)
a=1 vertices (4,-2) & (2,-2)
lastly the asymptotes for the form k ± b/a (x-h)
would be in the form of -2 ± 2/1 (x-3), -2 ± 2(x-3)

That is all my work/solutions for this problem.
Any help with what I may have done wrong and how to learn how to correct is, or even just saying "correct" is appreciated thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Your work looks good overall. I just have a few suggestions for improvement.

Firstly, when completing the square for each segment, it should be (x-3)^2-9 and -(y+2)^2+4, as you are adding and subtracting these values to both sides of the equation.

Secondly, when rewriting it into the form of (x-h)^2/a^2-(y-k)^2/b^2=1, it should be 4(x-3)^2/9-(y+2)^2/4=1. You made a small error here by not including the denominator 9 for the x term.

Lastly, for the asymptotes, the correct form is y = k ± b/a (x-h), so it should be y = -2 ± 2/1 (x-3) or y = -2 ± 2(x-3).

Other than that, your solutions for the center, foci, and vertices are all correct. Keep up the good work!

1. How do you find the foci of a hyperbola?

To find the foci of a hyperbola, you can use the formula c = √(a² + b²), where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively. The foci will be located on the transverse axis, equidistant from the center of the hyperbola.

2. What are the vertices of a hyperbola?

The vertices of a hyperbola are the points where the hyperbola intersects with its transverse axis. They are located at the ends of the semi-major axis and are equidistant from the center of the hyperbola.

3. How can you determine the equation of a hyperbola?

The general equation of a hyperbola is (x-h)²/a² - (y-k)²/b² = 1, where (h,k) is the center of the hyperbola, a is the length of the semi-major axis, and b is the length of the semi-minor axis. To determine the equation of a specific hyperbola, you can use the given information about the center, foci, and vertices to plug into this equation.

4. What is an asymptote of a hyperbola?

An asymptote of a hyperbola is a line that the hyperbola approaches but never touches. For a hyperbola in standard form, the asymptotes are given by the equations y = ±(b/a)x, where a and b are the lengths of the semi-major and semi-minor axes, respectively.

5. Can a hyperbola have more than two foci?

No, a hyperbola can only have two foci. This is because the foci are located at the points where the distance between any point on the hyperbola and the foci is constant, and there can only be two such points on a hyperbola.