Thermal Physics, finding the thermal conductivity of a metal

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the thermal conductivity of a metal rod using given values such as temperature, length, and cross-sectional area. The solution involved finding the heat of ice and using equations to determine the thermal conductivity, with a final value of 1024.99. The individual also requested feedback on their solution.
jv616

Homework Statement

One end of a metal rod is maintained at 100°C, and the other end is placed in a large
container with ice and water at 0°C. The rod has length 50 cm and a cross-sectional area
of 0.8 cm
. The heat conducted by the rod melts 4 g of ice in 5 minutes. Calculate the
thermal conductivity of the metal.

Homework Equations

Q=M*C*(Delta T)
H=(-Delta T)/R
R=(delta X)/KA

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing that I did was find the heat of ice
Q=(.4kg)(2050J/(M*K))(100-0) which gave me the value 82000 J
Since I now know the heat I plugged this value into the H=(-Delta T)/R

I solved and found that my R value was 1.2*E-3

I manipulated the last equation to give me
K=(delta x)/AR
And found a K value of 1024.99

I wanted to know if I did this problem correctly, any feedback would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
In calculating Q, the ice is melting (going from ice at 0C to water at 0C). No ΔT is involved.

1. What is thermal physics?

Thermal physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter at the microscopic level, specifically how it responds to changes in temperature and heat energy.

2. What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is defined as the amount of heat that can pass through a unit area of a material in a unit time when there is a temperature difference of one degree between the two sides of the material.

3. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured using a device called a thermal conductivity meter. This device measures the temperature difference across a material and the heat flow through it, and uses these values to calculate the thermal conductivity.

4. How do you find the thermal conductivity of a metal?

To find the thermal conductivity of a metal, you can use a thermal conductivity meter or perform experiments to measure the temperature difference and heat flow through the material. This data can then be used in the thermal conductivity equation to calculate the value.

5. What factors affect thermal conductivity?

The thermal conductivity of a material is affected by several factors, including the type of material, its density, and its temperature. In general, materials with higher densities and lower temperatures have higher thermal conductivity values, while materials with lower densities and higher temperatures have lower thermal conductivity values.