[BASIC] Interpretation of multiplication

In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of momentum and energy in physics and their relationship to mass and velocity. The formulas for these quantities are chosen to reflect their conservation under certain circumstances and were deduced empirically. The greater an object's momentum, the more resistance it has for change in motion.
Atran
Hello, I know this question may be absurd or very basic, but I need to know what it means when two variables with different units are being multiplied.

I need to know what multiplication is in physics, in order to make sense of formulas (such as momentum, force, energy formulas) without only depending on their written definitions.

Thanks for help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to clarify what is troubling you. For example momentum = mass x velocity, where mass is scalar in units such as grams, while velocity is a vector where the components are in units of distance divided by time, such as meters per sec.

I don't understand why momentum (p=mv) and energy (W=fd) formulas are the way they are.

I've got an intuitive feeling of momentum: the greater momentum an object has, the more resistance it has for change in motion.

I don't really understand why momentum is equal to (mv). In other words, why (mv)?

the greater momentum an object has, the more resistance it has for change in motion.

You've essentially captured it in that statement.

Think about what happens if EITHER of those quantities is 0. A massless object has no resistance to change, and a motionless object has no motion. Both or either one imply 0 momentum.

The formulas for energy and momentum are chosen such that those quantities are conserved under certain circumstences. That is the whole point of these two concepts. The conservation of these qunatities was deduced empirically.

1. What is multiplication?

Multiplication is a mathematical operation where two or more numbers are combined to find the total quantity of objects or groups.

2. How is multiplication interpreted visually?

Visually, multiplication can be interpreted as repeated addition or as the area of a rectangle.

3. What are the properties of multiplication?

The properties of multiplication are commutative (changing the order of the factors does not change the product), associative (changing the grouping of factors does not change the product), and distributive (multiplying a number by a sum is the same as multiplying each addend by the number and then adding the products).

4. How does multiplication relate to other mathematical operations?

Multiplication is closely related to addition and division. It can be thought of as a shortcut for repeated addition and can also be used to solve division problems.

5. How can multiplication be used in real-life situations?

Multiplication can be used in many real-life situations, such as calculating the total cost of multiple items at a store, finding the area of a garden or room, or determining the number of people in a group based on the number of rows and columns they are arranged in.