Group/Phase velocity - amplitude, frequency, velocity

In summary, the conversation discussed a python simulation program that allows for the adjustment of three parameters (E02, f2, and v2) based on the phase velocity and group velocity. It was mentioned that there is an equation that can be derived to adjust these parameters in order to obtain specific group velocities. The equation was then derived as VG = (f2 - f1)/(v2 - v1) and can be used to adjust the parameters to get the desired group velocity.
tquiva

Homework Statement

I've been working on a python simulation program that is based on phase velocity and group velocity. It looks like the following screenshot, where three parameters (E02, f2, and v2) can be adjusted. These three parameters are adjusted in terms of E01, f1, and v1.

attachment.php?attachmentid=57864&stc=1&d=1365968654.png

I adjusted the parameters for E_02, f2, and v2 to get the following cases:

attachment.php?attachmentid=57865&stc=1&d=1365969062.png

As a result of obtaining these arbitrary parameteres, I need to develop a theory that tells how to adjust these parameters E02, f2, v2 to get the group velocity designated in the cases above.

Homework Equations

I know that:
Vp = ω/β = (2πf)/β
VG = dω/dβ

For the python simulation:
Group velocity is the velocity of the envelopes, phase velocity is the velocity of the resultant wave (white curve)
Positive velocity: Wave is moving from left to right
Negative velocity: Wave is moving from right to left

The Attempt at a Solution

Observing the cases in the above table:
For VG = 0, it appears that the value for E02 and f2 does not matter as long as v2 = 0*v1 = 0.

For VG = VP, it is also knows the E02 = E01, f2=f1, and v2 = v1. So the parameters of one wave are equivalent to the parameters of the other wave.

At this point, I'm a little lost. My TA says that there is an equation to be derived so that I can obtain the above cases by inputting certain values to it. I don't know where to go from here to obtain that equation. Will someone please help me? I'd highly appreciate it.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 9.43.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 9.43.24 AM.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 947
  • Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 9.50.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-04-14 at 9.50.39 AM.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
From the given parameters, it appears that the group velocity depends on the frequency and phase velocity of the two waves. Thus, the equation for the group velocity can be derived as follows: VG = dω/dβ where ω and β are the frequencies and phase velocities respectively of the two waves. The equation for the group velocity can then be written as: VG = (f2 - f1)/(v2 - v1) This equation can be used to adjust the parameters E02, f2, v2 to get the desired group velocity, as in the cases shown above. For example, to get VG = 0, set v2 = 0*v1 = 0 and the values for E02 and f2 will not matter. To get VG = VP, set E02 = E01, f2=f1, and v2 = v1. Thus, this equation can be used to adjust the parameters E02, f2, v2 to get the desired group velocity.

1. What is the difference between group velocity and phase velocity?

Group velocity refers to the speed at which the energy of a wave travels, while phase velocity refers to the speed at which the phase of a wave travels. In simpler terms, group velocity describes the overall motion of a wave, while phase velocity describes the speed of individual peaks or troughs within the wave.

2. How do amplitude and frequency affect group and phase velocities?

Amplitude and frequency have a direct impact on both group and phase velocities. Generally, a higher amplitude and lower frequency will result in a higher group velocity, while a lower amplitude and higher frequency will result in a lower group velocity. However, the phase velocity is not affected by amplitude, but it is affected by frequency. A higher frequency will result in a higher phase velocity.

3. Can a wave have different group and phase velocities?

Yes, a wave can have different group and phase velocities. This is known as dispersive behavior, where the velocity of a wave depends on its frequency. In dispersive media, the group velocity can be different from the phase velocity, and both velocities can vary with frequency.

4. How are group and phase velocities measured?

Group and phase velocities are measured using various techniques such as interferometry, time-of-flight measurements, and spectroscopy. These methods involve measuring the time it takes for a wave to travel a specific distance and calculating the velocity based on that time and distance.

5. What are some real-world applications of group and phase velocities?

Group and phase velocities have many practical applications, including in the field of optics, where they are used to design and control the behavior of light in various devices such as lenses, mirrors, and optical fibers. They are also important in the study of seismic waves and ocean waves, as well as in the development of communication technologies such as radar and satellite transmissions.