Series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x)

In summary, the series expansion of Si(x) is given by integrating the power series of sin(θ)/θ term by term. The equation given in articles is verified and derived by integrating the series. There is no need to chop the interval into sections.
yungman
This is not really a homework, I am trying to expand Si(x) into a series.The series expansion of Si(x) is given in articles:
[tex]Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac {(-1)^k x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)(2k+1)!}[/tex]

This is my work, I just cannot get the right answer:
[tex]Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^m \frac{sin \theta_i}{\theta_i}\Delta\theta_i[/tex]

[tex]\sin \theta=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k \theta^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!}\Rightarrow\;\frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k \theta^{2k}}{(2k+1)!}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta \theta_i = \frac x m\;\hbox{ and }\; \theta_i= i\Delta \theta_i =i\frac x m[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^m \frac{sin \theta_i}{\theta_i}\Delta\theta_i\;=\;\sum_0^m\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k\left (i\frac x m\right )^{2k}}{(2k+1)!}\frac x m\;=\;\sum_0^m\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^ki^{2k} x^{2k+1}}{m^{2k+1}(2k+1)!} [/tex]

I don't know how to get the answer, please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yungman said:
This is not really a homework, I am trying to expand Si(x) into a series.The series expansion of Si(x) is given in articles:
[tex]Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac {(-1)^k x^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)(2k+1)!}[/tex]

This is my work, I just cannot get the right answer:
[tex]Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^m \frac{sin \theta_i}{\theta_i}\Delta\theta[/tex]

[tex]\sin \theta=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k \theta^{2k+1}}{(2k+1)!}\Rightarrow\;\frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}=\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k \theta^{2k}}{(2k+1)!}[/tex]

[tex]\Delta \theta_i = \frac x m\;\hbox{ and }\; \theta_i= i\Delta \theta_i =i\frac x m[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow\;Si(x)=\int_0^x \frac{\sin\theta}{\theta}d\theta=\sum_0^m \frac{sin \theta_i}{\theta_i}\Delta\theta_i\;=\;\sum_0^m\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k\left (i\frac x m\right )^{2k}}{(2k+1)!}\frac x m\;=\;\sum_0^m\sum_0^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^ki^{2k} x^{2k+1}}{m^{2k+1}(2k+1)!} [/tex]

I don't know how to get the answer, please help.

I have no idea what all the delta thetas are all about. You don't need to derive the formula for integrating a power. You have a series for ##\sin(\theta)##, divide it by ##\theta## and integrate term by term.

Dick said:
I have no idea what all the delta thetas are all about. You don't need to derive the formula for integrating a power. You have a series for ##\sin(\theta)##, divide it by ##\theta## and integrate term by term.

I missed the subscript i, ##\Delta\theta_i## is just the series representation of ##d\theta##. Where I chop the 0<##\theta##<x into m sections.

I want to verify and derive the equation given from articles.

Last edited:
yungman said:
##\Delta\theta## is just the series representation of ##d\theta##. Where I chop the 0<##\theta##<x into m sections.

I want to verify and derive the equation given from articles.

You don't have to chop into sections. Just integrate the power series term by term!

Dick said:
You don't have to chop into sections. Just integrate the power series term by term!

I got it! It's just that easy! Thanks.

1. What is the series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x)?

The series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x) is an infinite polynomial that represents the integral function of the sine function. It is given by the formula:
Si(x) = x - (x^3/3!) + (x^5/5!) - (x^7/7!) + ...

2. How is the series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x) derived?

The series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x) is derived using the Maclaurin series, which is a special case of the Taylor series. It involves taking derivatives of the sine function and evaluating them at x=0.

3. What is the purpose of the series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x)?

The series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x) is used to approximate the value of the integral function for a given input x. It is particularly useful when the integral cannot be evaluated analytically.

4. How accurate is the series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x)?

The accuracy of the series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x) depends on the number of terms used in the polynomial. As more terms are included, the approximation becomes more accurate. However, since it is an infinite series, it can never be completely accurate.

5. Are there any applications of the series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x)?

Yes, the series expansion of Sine Integral Si(x) has several applications in physics and engineering. It is used in the calculation of electromagnetic fields, in the analysis of harmonic oscillators, and in the study of wave propagation phenomena. It is also used in numerical methods for solving differential equations.