Finding scalar potential from E-field and vector potential

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating the scalar potential V using the given vector potential A and electric field E. The speaker expresses difficulty in understanding how to handle the scalar potential and requests help. They are advised to write out three partial differential equations and consider the general form of V.
Denver Dang

Homework Statement

Hi.

This one I really am lost on :/
In my mind it seems rather easy, but I still can't figure it out.
I have been given the E-field:
[tex]
\mathbf{E}\left( t,\,\,\vec{r} \right)=\frac{\kappa }{{{\varepsilon }_{0}}}\left[ \begin{matrix}
ctx+{{x}^{2}}-{{y}^{2}} \\
cty+{{y}^{2}} \\
ctz+{{z}^{2}}-{{y}^{2}} \\
\end{matrix} \right]
[/tex]
And then I have calculated the vector potential, which gives:
[tex]\mathbf{A}=\frac{\kappa t}{{{\varepsilon }_{0}}}\left[ \begin{matrix}
{{y}^{2}} \\
0 \\
{{y}^{2}} \\
\end{matrix} \right]
[/tex]
And now I need to calculate the scalar potential

Homework Equations

I'm thinking this one:
[tex]\mathbf{E}=-\nabla V-\frac{\partial \mathbf{A}}{\partial t}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is, that I'm not entirely sure about what to do with the scalar potential [itex]V[/itex].
Taking the derivative of [itex]A[/itex] is no problem, and adding [itex]E[/itex] and [itex]A[/itex] together is easy as well. But how is it get the scalar potential to stand alone ? Differentiate with [itex]\nabla[/itex] on both sides doesn't make sense to me.

I'm guessing it's pretty simple, but again, at the moment, I'm kinda lost :/

So any help would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be able to write out three partial differential equations (expressing ∇V = some vector). If one of those equations looks like, say, ∂V/∂x = f(x), what could you write down as the general form of V?

i would write out i=x, y, z and consider them all at once.

$$E_i = -\frac{\partial}{\partial x^i}\phi -\frac{\partial A_i}{\partial t} $$

1. How do you calculate the scalar potential from the electric field and vector potential?

The scalar potential can be calculated using the formula V = -∫E•ds + ψ, where ψ is the vector potential and the integral is taken along a path from a reference point to the desired point.

2. What is the significance of finding the scalar potential from the electric field and vector potential?

Finding the scalar potential allows us to fully describe the electric field in a given region. It also helps in solving problems related to the electric field and can provide insights into the behavior of the electric field in a particular system.

3. Can the scalar potential be found for any electric field and vector potential?

Yes, the scalar potential can be found for any electric field and vector potential as long as they satisfy the necessary conditions, such as being continuous and differentiable in the given region.

4. How does the scalar potential relate to the electric potential?

The scalar potential is directly related to the electric potential, as the electric potential is the scalar potential per unit charge. In other words, the electric potential is the amount of work per unit charge required to move a charge from a reference point to a particular point in the electric field.

5. Is there a specific method for finding the scalar potential from the electric field and vector potential?

Yes, the most common method is to use the formula V = -∫E•ds + ψ, where ψ is the vector potential and the integral is taken along a chosen path. However, depending on the system, other methods such as using boundary conditions or solving for the scalar potential in terms of the vector potential may also be used.