C++ Tutorial Books: Easy to Complex | Advice

• Thread starter ghost313
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary: I cannot say. Many readers report that his newer books are not as good as his earlier ones.Schildt is widely reviled by those who do know how to program. The big problem with Schildt is that his writing style makes him widely loved by those who don't know how to program. An even bigger problem: That group unfortunately includes instructors whose job is to teach people to program. Schildt apparently has a gift for writing clearly. Unfortunately, what he writes so clearly about oftentimes is clearly wrong. For a while, there were challenges on the internet regarding Schildt's books: Someone would pick book by Schildt and a random number, and then others would find the errors
ghost313
Can anyone advise me a good book on tutorials for C++?
Something that starts easy and goes to complex?
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you :)

cpscdave said:
one I used when learning was
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0071634827/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Quite liked it till the binding failed :)
No! Do not buy any book about programming, in any language, written by Herbert Schildt.

Google the term "bullschildt". Then burn that book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes deluks917
D H said:
No! Do not buy any book about programming, in any language, written by Herbert Schildt.

Google the term "bullschildt". Then burn that book.

Meh the book worked for me :D

The basic problems with any of Schildt's books is that they are full of sloppiness and even out-and-out errors, they are out of date, and worst of all, they teach what are widely regarded elsewhere as bad programming practices.

Some good introductory books on C++:

This is the book that I learned from:
Problem Solving with C++ by Walter Savitch

But I would also recommend visiting http://www.cplusplus.com/
for some free tutorials

Also, I would imagine anything by Bjarne Stroustrup would be good.

D H said:

This is what our CS department uses for C++ [0]. It's also since been updated to use C++11 and C++14.

As a general reference, having a copy of Stroustrup's The C++ Programming Language can't hurt.

[0] My claim to fame for this thread is that Stroustrup's office is 3 floors above mine, and I've also been in the same elevator as him...

D H said:
The basic problems with any of Schildt's books is that they are full of sloppiness and even out-and-out errors, they are out of date, and worst of all, they teach what are widely regarded elsewhere as bad programming practices. [/list]

Can you elaborate on those bad programming practices? I learned C++ as a freshman in college but I've ... 5 years later, begun to realize the whole OOP paradigm makes things a lot harder than they need to be in my cases. Unless you're actually writing an API, it's completely ok and maybe even good to not feel like you need to encapsulate everything in classes, particularly if you're working in small teams with good communication or alone where you don't necessarily need to prevent your code from being "used incorrectly". I came to this conclusions and others with the help of some software engineers' blogs...folks who are actually in the trenches trying to accomplish things effectively and efficiently, not by academics trying to write cool new language features that may or may not be useful.

That said, I'm not a software engineer or an expert on C/++. The books you recommended may also be full of productivity-based s.w.eng. practices. I simply find it fascinating what the "trade-oriented" side of s.w.eng. is saying, and think it might be useful for someone new to C++ to learn if/when OOP isn't appropriate in some cases.

Last edited:
X89codered89X said:
Can you elaborate on those bad programming practices?
Schildt is widely reviled by those who do know how to program. The big problem with Schildt is that his writing style makes him widely loved by those who don't know how to program. An even bigger problem: That group unfortunately includes instructors whose job is to teach people to program.

Schildt apparently has a gift for writing clearly. Unfortunately, what he writes so clearly about oftentimes is clearly wrong. For a while, there were challenges on the internet regarding Schildt's books: Someone would pick book by Schildt and a random number, and then others would find the errors on that page in that book. This got a bit old as it became obvious that almost every page of every one of Schildt's books contained some error. Typos exist somewhere in every book, as do occasional misconceptions by the author of any book. But on every page? No. That shouldn't happen.

Schildt's newer books have apparently finally removed some of the extremely glaring errors (e.g., void main()) and extremely MSDOS-biased concepts (e.g., #include <conio.h>) that drove so many people so very crazy. Whether he has fixed things enough to cover his sins of the past remains dubious.
I learned C++ as a freshman in college but I've ... 5 years later, begun to realize the whole OOP paradigm makes things a lot harder than they need to be in my cases.
There's nothing in the C++ language that says everything has to be an object. Every working C++ program necessarily has at least one function, main, that is not a member of any class. C++ offers a number of different programming paradigms. You as the developer are responsible for determining which paradigm (or paradigms) best fit the problem at hand. There certainly are places where the object oriented paradigm is at best a sub-optimal choice, and C++ does not force you to make that sub-optimal choice.

D H said:
There's nothing in the C++ language that says everything has to be an object. Every working C++ program necessarily has at least one function, main, that is not a member of any class. C++ offers a number of different programming paradigms. You as the developer are responsible for determining which paradigm (or paradigms) best fit the problem at hand. There certainly are places where the object oriented paradigm is at best a sub-optimal choice, and C++ does not force you to make that sub-optimal choice.

Well, yes. The language itself doesn't force you to stick to OOP, but culture and best practices I was taught in college were to encapsulate everything. Quite possibly you had a very different experience than I. But from other reading what working programmers have to say, I'm finding my training on dogmatically sticking to OOP and encapsulation-centric programming styles isn't that unique. That's all I was trying to point out to OP. These academic instructors (at least mine did this ) on C++ tend to focus on ideal styles of what code would look like, with less-than-appropriate regard for the the time it takes to actually write code in that style. Anywho..

What is the best C++ tutorial book for beginners?

The best C++ tutorial book for beginners would depend on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some popular options include "C++ Primer" by Stanley Lippman, "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup, and "C++ in One Hour a Day" by Siddhartha Rao.

Are there any C++ tutorial books that are suitable for advanced learners?

Yes, there are many C++ tutorial books that cater to advanced learners. Some recommended options include "Effective Modern C++" by Scott Meyers, "Accelerated C++" by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo, and "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup.

What are some key topics that should be covered in a comprehensive C++ tutorial book?

A comprehensive C++ tutorial book should cover topics such as basic syntax and control structures, data types and structures, object-oriented programming concepts, memory management, templates, exception handling, and standard library functions. Additionally, it should also cover more advanced topics such as multithreading, networking, and graphical user interface development.

Are there any online resources or tutorials that can supplement a C++ tutorial book?

Yes, there are many online resources and tutorials that can supplement a C++ tutorial book. Some popular options include online coding platforms like Codeacademy and Coursera, YouTube channels like The Cherno and CppCon, and online forums like Stack Overflow and Reddit's r/cpp.

How long does it typically take to complete a C++ tutorial book?

The time it takes to complete a C++ tutorial book can vary depending on the individual's learning pace and the complexity of the material covered. On average, it may take a few weeks to a few months to complete a comprehensive C++ tutorial book.