Virtual reality games in how long?

In summary: So, the technology will eventually catch up.Who cares, they say it happens already with current video game technology! I'm not going to allow some silly skyrocketing murder rate to get in the way of my personal enjoyment :tongue2:In summary, the experts think that virtual reality video games will be available in the near future, and that they will be popular among those who want to experience the games realistically.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Does anyone think they know how long until we have great virtual reality video games? Something where you can somehow experience the game fully and practically "be there" busting down a door or shooting up a buncha mafia gang people... Something where you can literally feel the game.

I remember an x-files where they were in a virtual reality building where you actually felt getting hit (i think) and held weapons. Unfortunately i don't see how you could get very far in that environment when there's no doors to kick down or anything really cool like that :D. So does anyone know how far and in how long we can get when it comes to video game entertainment? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
They'll never bother making them real. least not in today's society. people don't want to feel the fight, they just want to see it. Today's public is an audience that wants to be impressed.

Smurf said:
They'll never bother making them real. least not in today's society. people don't want to feel the fight, they just want to see it. Today's public is an audience that wants to be impressed.

Screw that, i do :D Which means everyone should! :rofl:

Theres these competitions held in california where people hecka deck themselves out with military/swat gear and they basically play war in the forests with military replica bb guns. Those are the kinda people that woudl pay to play sometin like that!

Plus there HAS to be military applications.

There already are virtual reality simulations for military training.

What, are you talken about fighter aircraft sims and stationary shooting sims and MILES?

Miles is pretty close to what id want but you have to set up entire cities for that.

Yes, yes and yes.

The VR game I played made me queazy. :bugeye: I didn't like the feeling of moving, without actually moving, and my brain didn't want to compensate. The guy that controlled the game, said it was a common problem, and sometimes ended up with quite a bit of barf on his shoes. :eek:

bleh, not close enough! I need to lose myself into a gaming world and then take it back into the real world and get sentenced to 15years to life after accidently killing someone because i don't know the difference between the virtual reality and hte real wordl :D

Pengwuino said:
bleh, not close enough! I need to lose myself into a gaming world and then take it back into the real world and get sentenced to 15years to life after accidently killing someone because i don't know the difference between the virtual reality and hte real wordl :D

Wow, this is a very possible outcome.. Maybe the VR system shdnt be out.

But ah well, i will rush to get it when it comes out commercically. :rofl:

on tv i saw a new technology that allows 3d objects to be placed virtually on real surfaces. a virtual tank was placed on a table and it actually rode on real items and acted as if it were real. then the host of the demonstration had a virtual helicopter come out and fly around the studio and then he held a virtual item in his hand. of course you can only see it on a tv screen but you could wear glasses and have a kickass vr game with it. you could use it to create a virtual lightsaber and then some enemies right in your own living room. if they mass produced it they would really change the way games are played

The real question is: When the heck are we finally going to have those flying cars? If you believe the prognostications of sci-fi writers, we should have had those, virtual reality, intelligent computers, humanoid robots, and space travel to Jupiter by now. Why are we lagging so far behind?

Screw all that crap, i just want virtual reality :D. If you want to fly, go to an airport :P

darkar said:
Wow, this is a very possible outcome.. Maybe the VR system shdnt be out.

But ah well, i will rush to get it when it comes out commercically. :rofl:

Who cares, they say it happens already with current video game technology! I'm not going to allow some silly skyrocketing murder rate to get in the way of my personal enjoyment :tongue2: jk of course

donate your self to the military and ask them about it...maybe they have it hidden...it won't be commerical.

Complete VR ought to be out in my lifetime. Every few years computer power doubles, right? Work on mapping the brain, understanding motives, and scanning the brain is already underway.

As I understand it, space flight only really took place because of competition between the US and USSR. Intelligent computers already exist, they're just not highly intelligent. Thing is, software computing is more popular than neural networks, so human-like intelligence is less likely for a while. Hover cars (fan propulsion) exist, but they're not nearly as economical as normal cars. Humanoid robots aren't as economical as specialized robots, so they aren't likely inventions (people are still fairly cheap).

Id like a VR version of Leisure Suit Larry or games like that. Call me a loser but that is da bomb . Woohoo.

its a matter of making the sensory relay systems

1. How long have virtual reality games been around?

Virtual reality games have been around since the 1980s, but they have only recently become more mainstream and accessible to the general public.

2. How long does it take to develop a virtual reality game?

The time it takes to develop a virtual reality game depends on the complexity of the game, the size of the development team, and the budget. It can range from several months to a few years.

3. How long can someone play a virtual reality game before experiencing discomfort?

This varies from person to person, but it is generally recommended to take breaks every 30 minutes to an hour to prevent discomfort and fatigue.

4. How long does it take to adapt to playing virtual reality games?

The time it takes to adapt to playing virtual reality games also varies from person to person. Some people may adapt quickly, while others may take longer to get used to the immersive experience.

5. How long will it take for virtual reality games to become more advanced?

As technology continues to advance, virtual reality games will also become more advanced. It is difficult to say exactly how long this will take, but we can expect to see continuous advancements and improvements in the coming years.