Solving Piece-wise Functions: y=|x|+x Graph Explained

In summary, the conversation was about expressing the equation y = |x| + x as a piece-wise function with no absolute values. The final answer was y = 0 for x<0 and y = 2x for x>0, and the equations were found by calculating the slope for each separate piece. The question that arose was why x>0 was used instead of x>AND=0 for y = 2x. It was concluded that it didn't matter which side x=0 was put into since the function is continuous at 0.
Soaring Crane
I'm doing a review of fuctions, and a nagging question popped up in my mind after completing this problem.

After graphing y = |x| + x, express this equation as a piece-wise function with no absolute values.

I did graph it; it was simple (following is a sketch without values):
------------/
-----------/
_________/

Now the final answer included } y = 0, where x<and=0, and y = 2x, where x>0. I found the equations by looking/calculating the slope for each separate piece. However, what I do not understand is why is it x>0 INSTEAD of x>AND=0 for y = 2x. This is perhaps trivial and easy, but I don't comprehend the reason.

Thanks for your patience.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since y = 0 for x = 0, it seems to me that you could include 0 in either of the two functions.

It doesn't matter which side you put x=0 into since the function is continuous at 0.

1. What is a piece-wise function?

A piece-wise function is a type of mathematical function that is defined by multiple equations over different intervals or "pieces" of the function's domain. Each equation is only applicable to a certain portion of the domain and the different pieces are joined together to form the complete function.

2. How do you graph a piece-wise function?

To graph a piece-wise function, you first need to determine the different pieces of the function and their corresponding equations. Then, plot the points for each piece on a coordinate plane and connect them with a line or curve, depending on the type of equation. Make sure to pay attention to the domain restrictions and any discontinuities that may exist in the function.

3. What is the absolute value function in a piece-wise function?

The absolute value function, represented by the |x| notation, is a piece-wise function that takes the input value (x) and returns its positive value. In other words, if the input is a negative number, the output will be its positive equivalent and if the input is already positive, the output will remain the same.

4. How do you solve a piece-wise function?

To solve a piece-wise function, you need to identify the appropriate equation to use based on the given input value. Then, plug in the input value into that equation and evaluate to find the corresponding output value. Repeat this process for any other pieces of the function that may be applicable to the input value.

5. What does the graph of y=|x|+x look like?

The graph of y=|x|+x is a "V" shaped curve that opens upward and has its vertex at the origin (0,0). It consists of two linear pieces, with the first piece being the line y=x and the second piece being the line y=-x. The graph also has a point of discontinuity at x=0, where the two pieces join together.