Solving a Tutorial Problem on Bravais Lattice

• Thread starter retupmoc
  • Start date
In summary, The question is about using the definition of Bravais lattices to show that the third real space axis is normal to the plane. The person is stuck and unsure about how to proceed, but they mention possibly using the cross-product. They also provide an example of the primitive monoclinic lattice and mention that the length of c does not equal that of a and they are not normal. However, they are unsure of how to proceed.
retupmoc
Im a bit stuck on this tutorial problem on Bravais Lattices. The question initially asks to sketch the 5 2D Bravais lattices which i have done but i have no idea how to proceed with the next part, The question states

" use the definition of the Bravais lattice to show that the third real space axis is normal to the plane"

I assume somewhere i have to use the cross-product but i don't know at what point or even how in this case.
For exampe for the c-a plane of the primitive monoclinc the only info i know is that the length c does not equal that of a and that they are not normal. How do i proceed?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. Are you supposed to assume that a 3D bravais lattice has one of these as a cross section, and that then the third lattice vector must be normal to these planes? Because that is not, in general, true. Look at the body centered cubic lattice with the (100) planes.

1. What is a Bravais lattice?

A Bravais lattice is a mathematical concept used to describe the arrangement of atoms or molecules in a crystal structure. It is a repeating pattern of points in three-dimensional space that represents the basic building blocks of a crystal.

2. How do you solve a tutorial problem on Bravais lattice?

To solve a tutorial problem on Bravais lattice, you need to first identify the type of lattice present (simple cubic, body-centered cubic, face-centered cubic, etc.) and then use the appropriate formulas and equations to calculate the lattice parameters, lattice points, and other relevant properties. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

3. What are the key components of a Bravais lattice?

The key components of a Bravais lattice include the unit cell, which represents the smallest repeating unit of the lattice, and the lattice points, which are the points where the atoms or molecules are located within the unit cell. Other important components include the lattice parameters, which define the size and shape of the unit cell, and the lattice vectors, which describe the orientation and spacing of the unit cells.

4. Why is it important to understand Bravais lattices?

Understanding Bravais lattices is important in crystallography and material science as it allows us to predict and understand the physical and chemical properties of crystals. It also helps in the design and development of new materials with specific properties by manipulating the arrangement of atoms or molecules in the crystal lattice.

5. What are some common types of tutorial problems on Bravais lattice?

Some common types of tutorial problems on Bravais lattice include calculating the lattice parameters, determining the number of lattice points in a unit cell, finding the crystallographic directions and planes, and identifying the type of lattice present based on given information. Other types of problems may involve calculating the density, volume, and packing fraction of the unit cell.