Magnetic flux through loop inside of solenoid

In summary, a solenoid with 1800 turns of wire and dimensions of 125 cm in length and 10.0 cm in diameter has a smaller circular wire loop with a diameter of 5.0 cm placed along its axis. If the initial current in the solenoid is 4.0 A, the magnetic flux through the smaller loop can be calculated using the equation B = μ*n*I, where n is the number of turns per unit length. To find the average emf induced in the smaller loop, the equation emf = -dflux/dt can be used, where the change in flux is equal to the final flux since the current goes to 0 in 3.0 s.
as11

Homework Statement

A solenoid has 1800 turns of wire and is 125 cm long and 10.0 cm in diameter; see Figure P.14 (attached). A circular wire loop of diameter 5.0 cm lies along the axis of the solenoid near the middle of its length as shown.
(a) If the current in the solenoid initially is 4.0 A, find the magnetic flux through the smaller loop.
(b) If the current in the solenoid is switched off and falls to zero in 3.0 s, calculate the average value of the emf induced in the smaller loop.

Homework Equations

1. B(inside solenoid) = [tex]\mu[/tex]0*n*I, where n=number turns, I= current
2. [tex]\Phi[/tex]magnetic=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{B}[/tex]*[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{dA}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Phi[/tex]magnetic=[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{B}[/tex]*[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{dA}[/tex] = BA = B*[tex]\pi[/tex]*r2 (this did not work, and as I did not get the first part, I had no idea how to even approach the second part...thanks for any advice).

Attachments

• p21-14.gif
    p21-14.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 1,042
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you say it "didn't work"? Show exactly what you did.

My apologies.

So B(inside solenoid) = [tex]\mu[/tex]0*n*I = (1.2566 x 10-6)*(1800)*(4.0A) = .009048 T

Area loop = [tex]\pi[/tex]*r2 = [tex]\pi[/tex]* (6.25 x 10-4) = .0019635 m2

so, if [tex]\Phi[/tex]= BA = (.009048 T) * (.0019635 m2) = 1.7766 x 10-5

but this answer was marked incorrect.

In the equation B = μ*n*I, n is the number of turns per unit length, not just the number of turns.

Last edited:
So to find the flux through the smaller loop do you first find the flux through the solenoid using its area and then somehow use the smaller loop's area to find its flux?

jdubt said:
So to find the flux through the smaller loop do you first find the flux through the solenoid using its area and then somehow use the smaller loop's area to find its flux?
You find the field within the solenoid (which is given by B = μ*n*I), then use it to calculate the flux through the smaller loop's area.

Thanks that worked; I tried that before, but used the diameter instead radius. woops

Part B is giving me trouble as well.

induced emf = -NA * dB/dt

=-1800*(.025)^2 * pi * (-4/3)

Wrong equation, never mind.

induced emf = -L * dI/dt

L= flux / I

I don't think you have to use an equation; it's asking for the average emf and

emf = -dflux /dt

and dflux= flux2 - flux1 , but flux2 = 0 because the current goes to 0 (stated in problem)

and dt is given in the problem

Your right; you can get the same solution both ways,

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the total number of magnetic field lines passing through a given area. It is usually represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area perpendicular to the field. Mathematically, it can be represented as Φ = B x A, where B is the magnetic field strength and A is the area.

3. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that has an electric current flowing through it. It produces a magnetic field that is similar to that of a bar magnet. It is commonly used in electromagnets and inductors.

4. How does a solenoid affect magnetic flux through a loop inside it?

A solenoid can change the magnitude of the magnetic flux through a loop inside it by varying the current flowing through the coil. The strength of the magnetic field produced by the solenoid can also be altered by changing the number of turns in the coil or the material of the core.

5. What is the relationship between magnetic flux and EMF in a solenoid?

According to Faraday's Law, a changing magnetic flux through a loop will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in the loop. This means that the magnetic flux through a solenoid can be used to generate an EMF, which can then be used to produce an electric current.