Matlab symbollic toolbox help

• Thread starter eugenius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, the script the professor wants us to use is difficult to read, and the MATLAB toolboxes that are available to us do not seem to be able to read it.
eugenius
Hello, I have an assignment that requires the use of matlab. Basically I'm going to be solving circuits in the laplace domain. The professor wants us to learn MATLAB because apparently real engineers use it.

I own MATLAB r2008a. I have no clue if it has the symbollic math toolbox or not, but I know that its having trouble understanding the script I'm supposed to use for this assignment.

Here is the script. If anyone has any clue what functions those are, and where the heck I'm supposed to get the symbolic toolbox that can read this script, please tell me.

Code:
% Unit-step function
u=sym('Heaviside(t)')
U=laplace(u)
pause

% Delta function
d=sym('Dirac(t)')
D=laplace(d)
pause

%exponential
e=sym('exp(-2*t)')
ezplot(e,[0,10])
axis([0 10 0 1.1])
grid
pause
E=laplace(e)

% decaying cosine
f=e*sym('cos(10*t)')
ezplot(f,[0,5])
axis([0 5 -1 1])
grid
pause
F=laplace(f);
pretty(F)

g=sym('Heaviside(t-2)');
G=laplace(g)
pretty(G)
pause

Physics news on Phys.org
To see which toolboxes you have installed, try using the MATLAB launch pad (go to the View menu and then make sure the Launch Pad is checked). If there's no Symbolic Math Toolbox in the launch pad, then you don't have it installed. You can also use the 'demo' command to bring up the demo control panel and see which toolboxes are installed.

Each of the toolboxes (for student use) is $59 from the Mathworks store. If your professor is expecting you to use the Symbolic Toolbox, I'd fire off an e-mail asking if there's a computer lab somewhere on your campus where that's installed (chances are good). As to what the various functions do, the absolute easiest way to get documentation is to fire up MATLAB and type in help <name of function> for instance:

>> help ezplot

You can also look at the (more detailed) online MATLAB documentation:
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/ref/funcalpha.html

There's also the documentation for each of the toolboxes:
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/helpdesk.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, it seems my problem was that I have Windows 64 bit and symbolic toolbox doesn't work with 64 bit. I tried 32 bit and it works.

1. What is the Matlab symbolic toolbox used for?

The Matlab symbolic toolbox is used for performing symbolic computations, such as solving algebraic equations, simplifying expressions, and performing calculus operations. It allows for the manipulation of variables and functions in their algebraic form, rather than just their numerical values.

2. How do I access the Matlab symbolic toolbox?

To access the Matlab symbolic toolbox, you must first have a valid Matlab license. Once you have Matlab installed, you can access the symbolic toolbox by typing "syms" in the command window or by clicking on the "Symbolic Math Toolbox" button on the Matlab toolbar.

3. What are some common functions in the Matlab symbolic toolbox?

Some common functions in the Matlab symbolic toolbox include "solve" for solving equations, "simplify" for simplifying expressions, "diff" for taking derivatives, and "int" for performing integrals. There are also functions for working with polynomials, matrices, and other mathematical operations.

4. Can I use the Matlab symbolic toolbox for programming?

Yes, the Matlab symbolic toolbox can be used for programming by using the "syms" command to declare symbolic variables and then using them in your code. It also has functions for creating scripts and functions specifically for symbolic computations.

5. Are there any limitations to the Matlab symbolic toolbox?

While the Matlab symbolic toolbox is a powerful tool for symbolic computations, it does have some limitations. It may struggle with extremely complex or undefined functions, and it may not always provide the most simplified form of an expression. It is always important to check your results and make sure they are accurate.