How far behind the pinhole should you place the viewing screen?

• Thread starter yo_man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Screen
In summary, to photograph a circular diffraction pattern with a central maximum diameter of 1.0 cm using a helium-neon laser (lambda=633 nm) and a 0.12-mm-diameter pinhole, the viewing screen should be placed at a distance of 0.95 meters behind the pinhole. This can be calculated using the formula half angular width of the central maximum = lambda/d, where d is the slit width, and half angle = radius of the central maximum/distance of the screen. Units should be converted to be consistent.
yo_man

Homework Statement

You want to photograph a circular diffraction pattern whose central maximum has a diameter of 1.0 cm. You have a helium-neon laser (lambda=633 nm) and a 0.12-mm-diameter pinhole.
How far behind the pinhole should you place the viewing screen?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not understanding how to go about doing this/starting this question

Physics news on Phys.org
Half angular width of the central maximum = lambda/d, where d is the slit width.
And half angle = radius of the central maximum/distance of the screen.

so I do 633 nm/1 cm --> of course I will convert to uniform units
and half angle is 0.5 cm/x

but how do I use these?
and should i be using the 1 cm or the .12 mm?

633*x^-9/0.12*10^-3 = 0.5*10^-2/x

Last edited:
so I did that and it's not right. so then I tried using 0.12 x 10^-3 instead of 0.06x 10^3
and I solved for x, and it's not right...

x = 0.5*10^-2*0.12*10^-3/633*10^-9 = 0.95m

1. What is the purpose of a pinhole viewing screen?

A pinhole viewing screen is used to create an image by allowing light to pass through a small hole and projecting it onto a surface. This creates a focused image through the principles of optics.

2. How does the distance between the pinhole and the viewing screen affect the image?

The distance between the pinhole and the viewing screen determines the size and clarity of the image. A shorter distance will result in a smaller but sharper image, while a longer distance will result in a larger but blurrier image.

3. What factors should be considered when determining the distance between the pinhole and the viewing screen?

The two main factors to consider are the size of the pinhole and the distance between the pinhole and the object being viewed. The size of the pinhole will affect the amount of light passing through and the distance between the pinhole and the object will determine the size of the projected image.

4. Is there an ideal distance for placing the viewing screen behind the pinhole?

There is no one ideal distance for placing the viewing screen behind the pinhole as it depends on the specific setup and desired outcome. However, a good rule of thumb is to place the screen approximately 3-4 times the distance of the pinhole to the object being viewed.

5. Can the distance between the pinhole and the viewing screen be adjusted?

Yes, the distance between the pinhole and the viewing screen can be adjusted to achieve different results. However, it is important to note that changing the distance will also affect the size and clarity of the image, so it may require some experimentation to find the desired outcome.