Calculate Spacing b/w Atoms of Ideal Gas@273K,1atm

• Thread starter hhhmortal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Atoms
In summary, Homework Equations state that n = 4(pi)(n)/σ² and that the spacing between atoms is found using the mean free path equation. The atomic mass of iron is 55.9u and it is found that the spacing between atoms is 3.3nm.
hhhmortal

Homework Statement

Hi, I've got the following problem:

Calculate the spacing between atoms of an ideal gas at a temperature of 273K and a pressure of 1atm.

Homework Equations

Mean free path equation:

ʎ = 1 / 4(pi)(n)(σ²)

The Attempt at a Solution

I first used the ideal gas equation PV =nRT to get n/V and thus I got 2.67 x 10^25 particles/m^3.

But I don't know how I can find the radius of the atom. Am I using the wrong equation to get the spacing between atoms?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you consider the spacing between the centres of the atoms - you don't really need the size of the atom.
Take a look at the answer and you will see that the size of an atom (0.1nm) is tiny compared to the spacing.

mgb_phys said:
If you consider the spacing between the centres of the atoms - you don't really need the size of the atom.
Take a look at the answer and you will see that the size of an atom (0.1nm) is tiny compared to the spacing.

I don't quite understand you. Do you mean just assuming the radius of the atom is 0.1nm and then using the mean free path equation to get the spacing between atoms? If so wouldn't that give me a spacing between atoms very similar to its radius.

hhhmortal said:
I don't quite understand you. Do you mean just assuming the radius of the atom is 0.1nm and then using the mean free path equation to get the spacing between atoms? If so wouldn't that give me a spacing between atoms very similar to its radius.

I don't think so. mgb_phys wanted you to consider the atoms as points without any length and see the distance between them. You will find this distance rather large compared to the radius of an atom. (around 0.1 nm).
That's what I understand from mgb_phys.

fluidistic said:
I don't think so. mgb_phys wanted you to consider the atoms as points without any length and see the distance between them. You will find this distance rather large compared to the radius of an atom. (around 0.1 nm).
That's what I understand from mgb_phys.

Does this mean (n)^(1/3) which equals 3x10^8 and hence spacing between atoms is 3.3nm?

So what really is the difference between the mean free path and spacing between atoms?

Thanks.

A mole at stp is 22.4litres.
So you have 6 10^23 atoms/22.4litres = 2x10^19 atoms/cc
Or roughly 3million atoms per cm = 3nm apart.

A typical atom is roughly 0.1nm in diameter so the size of the atom doesn't really matter compared to the spacing.

mgb_phys said:
A mole at stp is 22.4litres.
So you have 6 10^23 atoms/22.4litres = 2x10^19 atoms/cc
Or roughly 3million atoms per cm = 3nm apart.

A typical atom is roughly 0.1nm in diameter so the size of the atom doesn't really matter compared to the spacing.

may i know does all these apply to solid?
quest: est the atomic spacing of the iron atoms.atomic mass 55.9u,density of iron found in quest is 6.585g/cm^3.

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the gas laws perfectly, meaning it has no intermolecular forces and its particles occupy negligible space. Real gases can behave like ideal gases under certain conditions, such as low pressure and high temperature.

2. How do you calculate the spacing between atoms of an ideal gas at 273K and 1atm?

The spacing between atoms of an ideal gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. Rearranging this equation to solve for V, we get V = (nRT)/P. The volume can then be divided by the number of atoms (Avogadro's number) to get the spacing between atoms.

3. What is the significance of using 273K and 1atm in the calculation?

273K is the temperature at which water freezes and 1atm is the typical atmospheric pressure at sea level. These values are commonly used as reference points in gas calculations and experiments.

4. Can this calculation be used for real gases?

Although this calculation is based on the ideal gas law, it can still be applied to real gases under certain conditions, such as low pressure and high temperature. However, for more accurate results, real gases may need to be corrected using the van der Waals equation or other equations that account for intermolecular forces and non-ideal behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to this calculation?

Yes, this calculation assumes that the gas is at 273K and 1atm, and that it behaves like an ideal gas with no intermolecular forces. In reality, these conditions may not always be met and the calculation may not accurately reflect the behavior of real gases. Additionally, this calculation does not take into account the size of the atoms or molecules in the gas, which can also affect the spacing between them.