Is there a connection between different types of cancer in families?

• Medical
  • Thread starter uq_civediv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cancer
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential overlap between different types of cancer in terms of both family history and genetic factors. The participants mention studies that have shown a correlation between having relatives with certain types of cancer and an increased risk of developing the same type. They also discuss the possibility of gene variants affecting multiple types of cancer. The conversation concludes with a reference to a specific study on the connection between Jewish genetics and colon cancer and a suggestion to search for more information on PubMed.
uq_civediv
i think we've all seen studies saying that having relatives w/ say, breast cancer increases your chances of getting it too.

is there data on overlap between different types of cancer, like having a close relative die of colon cancer influencing your chances of developing lung cancer ?

or genotype data; gene variants affecting various cancer types

intuitively there should be overlap, both in pedigree and genotype data, i just don't remember seeing any lately

any references/comments?

Biology news on Phys.org

1. What is genetic cancer predisposition?

Genetic cancer predisposition is the inherited tendency to develop certain types of cancer due to genetic mutations or variations that increase a person's risk for the disease.

2. How does genetic cancer predisposition differ from sporadic cancer?

Sporadic cancer is caused by random genetic mutations that occur during a person's lifetime, while genetic cancer predisposition is present from birth and inherited from a person's parents.

3. What are some common genetic mutations associated with cancer predisposition?

Some examples of genetic mutations that can increase a person's risk for cancer include BRCA1 and BRCA2 mutations, which are associated with breast and ovarian cancer, and TP53 mutations, which are linked to a variety of cancers including breast, brain, and bone cancer.

4. How can I find out if I have a genetic predisposition for cancer?

If you have a family history of certain types of cancer or if you have been diagnosed with cancer at a young age, you may want to consider genetic testing. A genetic counselor can help you determine if testing is appropriate for you and interpret the results.

5. Can genetic cancer predisposition be prevented?

While genetic predisposition cannot be prevented, it can be managed through regular screenings, lifestyle changes, and preventive measures such as prophylactic surgery. Early detection and treatment can also greatly improve outcomes for those with genetic cancer predisposition.