Estimating the maximum possible percentage error

In summary: If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.Hope this helps.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the maximum possible percentage error in a calculated value of the coefficient of rigidity, n, of a wire. The given equation is n=AL/d^4, where A is a constant and the parameters L and d have a 2% error in their known values. The conversation covers various approaches to finding the maximum error percentage, including using the partial derivatives dn/dL and dn/dA, and finding the minimum and maximum values of n by varying L and d. The conversation also provides a more elementary approach to finding the range of possible values for n and the relative uncertainty in n.
benji123

Homework Statement

Hi all! I am new to the forum, came across it from googling the problem which I had and someone was having difficuilty with a question like this on here! Here's the question I have...

The coefficient of rigidity, n, of a wire of length L and uniform diameter d is given by

n=AL/d^4

If A is a constant and the parameters L and d are known to within ± 2% of their correct values, estimate the maximum possible percentage error in the calculated value of n.

Homework Equations

n=AL/d^4

The Attempt at a Solution

dn = dn/dL x dL + dn/dA x dA

dn = A/d^4 dL + L/d^4 dA

n = A/d^4 x ΔL + L/d^4 x ΔA

n = ΔL/L + ΔA/A

Where do I go from here? Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
benji123 said:

Homework Statement

Hi all! I am new to the forum, came across it from googling the problem which I had and someone was having difficuilty with a question like this on here! Here's the question I have...
Welcome, benji. You have come to a good place for help.
benji123 said:
The coefficient of rigidity, n, of a wire of length L and uniform diameter d is given by

n=AL/d^4

If A is a constant and the parameters L and d are known to within ± 2% of their correct values, estimate the maximum possible percentage error in the calculated value of n.

Homework Equations

n=AL/d^4

The Attempt at a Solution

dn = dn/dL x dL + dn/dA x dA
A is a constant, so dn/dA doesn't make any sense. Instead, you want dn/dd. For the record, dn/dL and dn/dd are really the partial derivatives of n. I.e.,
[tex]\frac{\partial n}{\partial L} \text{and} \frac{\partial n}{\partial d}[/tex]
benji123 said:
dn = A/d^4 dL + L/d^4 dA

n = A/d^4 x ΔL + L/d^4 x ΔA

n = ΔL/L + ΔA/A

Where do I go from here? Any help will be greatly appreciated :)
For the percent change in n, you want dn/n.

Mark44 said:
For the percent change in n, you want dn/n.

Thanks for the reply Mark :) and correcting me with the dn/dA and dn/dd situation!

I was wondering, how do I get the estimation when I have no values to work from for L and d?

You don't have L and d, but you have their relative errors: ΔL/L and Δd/d.

Mark44 said:
You don't have L and d, but you have their relative errors: ΔL/L and Δd/d.

What do I do with the relative error? As "Δd" will be 2% what will I use for "d" ?

No, Δd is not a percent value; it is the error in determining d. The relative error, which is what you are given, is Δd/d, and that is .02. Actually, what is given is that |Δd|/d <= .02. Same with L and ΔL.

So would it be...

% change in n = % change in L - (4 times % change in d)
% change in n = -2 - (4 times -2)
% change in n = -2 +8
% change in n = + 6%

Therefore, ±2% change in L and d = ±6% change in n?

benji123 said:
So would it be...

% change in n = % change in L - (4 times % change in d)
% change in n = -2 - (4 times -2)
% change in n = -2 +8
% change in n = + 6%

Therefore, ±2% change in L and d = ±6% change in n?
No. Where are you getting the -2 numbers?

You started off in the right direction, but didn't fix the errors I pointed out earlier, so let's start from the beginning.

n = AL/d4
[tex]dn = A(\frac{\partial n}{\partial L}~dL + \frac{\partial n}{\partial d}~dd)[/tex]

The percent change in n is Δn/n. Fill in the partial derivatives in the equation above and divide both sides by n.

There is a more elementary way.

[tex]
n \propto L
[/tex]

means that n increases with increasing L, while

[tex]
n \propto d^{-4}
[/tex]

means that n decreases with increasing d.

Therefore, the smallest value for n is obtained by taking the smallest value for L and the largest value for d:

[tex]
n_{\mathrm{min}} = A \, \frac{L_{\mathrm{min}}}{d^{4}_{\mathrm{max}}}
[/tex]

The largest value for n, on the other hand, is obtained by taking the largest value for L and the smallest value for d:

[tex]
n_{\mathrm{max}} = A \, \frac{L_{\mathrm{max}}}{d^{4}_{\mathrm{min}}}
[/tex]

In this way, you obtain an interval for the possible values of n:

[tex]
n \in [n_{\mathrm{min}}, n_{\mathrm{max}}]
[/tex]

Instead of the interval notation, one usually uses the "techincal notation":

[tex]
n = \bar{n} \pm \Delta n
[/tex]

which actually means:

[tex]
\left\{\begin{array}{l}
n_{\mathrm{min}} = \bar{n} - \Delta n \\

n_{\mathrm{max}} = \bar{n} + \Delta n
\end{array}\right. \Leftrightarrow \left\{\begin{array}{l}
\bar{n} = \frac{1}{2} \, (n_{\mathrm{min}} + n_{\mathrm{max}}) \\

\bar{n} = \frac{1}{2} \, (n_{\mathrm{max}} - n_{\mathrm{min}}) \\
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

Then, of course, the relative uncertainty, expressed in percent, is defined as:

[tex]
\delta_{n} \equiv \frac{\Delta n}{\bar{n}} \cdot 100\%
[/tex]

It is up to you to:
1. Find Lmin and Lmax by knowing [itex]\bar{L}[/itex] (the nominal value) and [itex]\Delta L = \delta_{L}/{100 \%} \, \bar{L}[/itex] (the absolute uncertainty);

2. Do the same for dmin and dmax;

3. Find nmin and nmax according to the above formulas;

4. Find [itex]\bar{n}[/itex] (nominal value) and [itex]\Delta n[/itex] (absolute uncertainty) according to the above formulas;

5. Find the relative uncertainty [itex]\delta_{n}[/itex].

What is the maximum possible percentage error?

The maximum possible percentage error is the largest potential discrepancy between a calculated value and the true or exact value. It is typically expressed as a percentage of the true value.

How is the maximum possible percentage error calculated?

The maximum possible percentage error is calculated by taking the absolute value of the difference between the calculated value and the true value, dividing it by the true value, and then multiplying by 100%. This is then rounded to the nearest whole number.

Why is it important to estimate the maximum possible percentage error?

Estimating the maximum possible percentage error is important because it allows us to understand the potential limitations or uncertainties in our calculations. This can help us evaluate the reliability and accuracy of our results and make informed decisions based on them.

What factors can affect the maximum possible percentage error?

There are several factors that can affect the maximum possible percentage error, including the accuracy of the measurement or data used, the precision of the tools or equipment used, and any potential sources of error in the calculation process. Additionally, limitations in the theoretical or mathematical models used can also contribute to the maximum possible percentage error.

How can we reduce the maximum possible percentage error?

There are a few ways to reduce the maximum possible percentage error, including using more accurate and precise measurement tools, increasing the number of data points or measurements taken, and using more sophisticated mathematical models and techniques. It is also important to identify and minimize any sources of error in the calculation process.