How Can I Adjust Vcc to Correct a 10V Output on my Amp Power Supply?

In summary, Bob is trying to find a way to generate a 10V peak value from a Bi-State Multivibrator, but is having trouble because the op-amp's datasheet states that the maximum output voltage should only be 9.18V. Bob is looking for a way to increase Vcc and -Vcc to get the desired 10V peak value, but is limited to resistors, opamps, and capacitors. He could try using a voltage comparator with an npn open collector output, or a pnp collector output with the emitter tied to Vcc.
unknown_2
Hi, I'm trying to understand how to correct when you put Vcc as 10V your max output is like 9.18V. Is there a factor on the data sheet or what? I'm trying to build a bi-state multivibrator to generate a 10V peak value but it's being saturated.

thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Vout = A(Vp-Vn)

A = open loop gain specified by op amp (usually around x10^5)
Vp = non-inverting input
Vn = inverting input

Vcc is normally around tens of volts. Have you tried increasing it to change the range?

Based on the eq above, in the linear range:

-Vcc< Vout < -Vcc

Last edited:
What is your output circuit?

Bob S

well open loop gain is so big that it'll, ideally saturate at Vcc and -Vcc. but practically it'll saturate at a lower value ( 10V saturate to 9.11V). i want to increase Vcc and -Vcc such that i can compensate for this decrease in output voltage. so in order to saturate at say 10V I need to increase Vcc and -Vcc to a higher number like 10.66V to compensate.

looking for a way to calculate it so i can apply it to different Vcc voltages

Why don't you use a voltage comparator with an npn open collector output with a resistor pullup, or a pnp collector output with the emitter tied to Vcc? What circuit are you using?

Bob S

i'm limited to resistors, opamps and capacitors. My full circuit it a waveform generator. the bi-state multivibrator output is acting as a square wave generator. and i want a 8vp-p value. but if i put 4V and -4V for Vcc and -Vcc it'll def be saturated and inaccurate.

unknown_2 said:
Hi, I'm trying to understand how to correct when you put Vcc as 10V your max output is like 9.18V. Is there a factor on the data sheet or what? I'm trying to build a bi-state multivibrator to generate a 10V peak value but it's being saturated.thanks.
I don't know if all datasheets follow the same convention, but for the TL08x series, TI uses VOM for the maximum output voltage. Look at Figure 10 on p. 10 at

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl081a.pdf

It is a graph of max. peak output voltage vs. supply voltage, under 10 kΩ load. So for that type of op-amp, you'd need at least ±11.2V supplies to get ±10V out.

Also, the specs on p. 7 mention VOM, the max. peak output voltage swing, is at least ±12V and typically ±13.5V for a load of 10 kΩ and ±15V inputs.

That being said, could you just try supplying ±12V to your op-amp and see what happens?

unknown_2 said:
looking for a way to calculate it so i can apply it to different Vcc voltages
The graph I referred to above shows a pretty linear response. If your op-amp's datasheet doesn't have such a curve, then you could measure max. output for a few different supply voltages, with whatever load resistance you use in practice, and make your own graph.

Last edited:
what I've done is put 15V Vcc and the max out on the 741 is about 13V. so that 13V output i'll just shrink the amplitude to get my desired value.

What is "Om amp power supply voltage"?

"Om amp power supply voltage" refers to the voltage level required to power an amplifier that is used in audio systems. This voltage level is typically measured in volts (V) and is necessary for the amplifier to function properly.

What is the ideal voltage for an Om amp power supply?

The ideal voltage for an Om amp power supply can vary depending on the specific amplifier and its power requirements. However, most Om amp power supplies operate at a voltage range of 12-24V. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications for the specific amplifier to determine the ideal voltage.

What happens if the voltage for an Om amp power supply is too high?

If the voltage for an Om amp power supply is too high, it can cause damage to the amplifier and potentially other components in the audio system. It can also lead to overheating and decreased performance of the amplifier. It is important to ensure that the voltage is within the recommended range for the specific amplifier.

Can I use a different voltage than what is recommended for an Om amp power supply?

No, it is not recommended to use a different voltage than what is recommended for an Om amp power supply. Using a higher or lower voltage can cause damage to the amplifier and may also void the warranty. It is important to use the specified voltage to ensure proper functioning and longevity of the amplifier.

How do I measure the voltage for an Om amp power supply?

To measure the voltage for an Om amp power supply, you will need a multimeter. Set the multimeter to the voltage setting and connect the positive lead to the positive terminal of the power supply and the negative lead to the negative terminal. The multimeter will display the voltage level. It is important to do this while the amplifier is not in use and there is no audio signal present.