Introduction to Solid State Physics by Charles Kittel

In summary: Thank you.In summary, this book is excellent for someone new to the subject. It has wide coverage of topics and nice explanations. The only complaint is that there have been recent editions that have had errors.

For those who have used this book

• Total voters
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I'm taking a course on Solid State Physics using this book. The reviews here and on amazon aren't very positive. Is there a good book you would suggest as a companion?

Thanks,

A_B

I think this is a wonderful book, with wide coverage of topics and nice explanations. Kittel always provides references to experimental results to compliment the discussions. I read many complaints about recent editions, especially the 7th and 8th. I highly recommend the 3rd edition.

I'm reading the part about phonons in diatomic bases on pages 95-99 in the 8th edition. I might have confused myself but it seems like Kittel switched the directions for the NaCl and CsCl structure around on page 97. CsCl is a crystal with a simple cubic lattice and a basis of Cs at 000 and Cl at 1/2,1/2,1/2 so I would expect that one to be the one with a [111] direction. This doesn't show up in the errata pages I've found.

Nevermind. I took a long hard look at the 3D structures and it seems to be (mostly) correct.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Exellent book. Especially 1953 year edition.

Kittel said:
Recently there have been a number of attempts to give a quantum-
mechanical explanation of superconductivity. We mention work by
Heisenberg,28 Tisza,29 Slater,30 Born and Cheng,»1 Frohlich,32 and
Bardeen.32 At the present time all these theories are highly contro-
versial, and the difficulties do not lend themselves to analysis in an
introductory textbook.

It has no subsequent ideas of Cooper pairing, preventing us of from understanding of HTS.

Kittel said:
In every theory the apparent contradiction between the Bloch theorem and the observed persistence of currents in a superconducting ring is explained by the presumed metastable nature of the current distribution.

Anticipating words!
Bloch theorem must be corrected!

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator's Note:

A discussion of BCS superconductivity theory has been moved from this thread. Please find them here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4275186#post4275186

Kindly restrict comments in this thread to reviews of this specific textbook, and post discussion about other references on BCS in the other thread.

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is the study of the properties of solid materials, such as metals, semiconductors, and insulators. It involves understanding the behavior of electrons, atoms, and molecules within a solid and how these interactions give rise to various properties, such as electrical conductivity, magnetism, and optical properties.

2. Who is Charles Kittel?

Charles Kittel was an American physicist who made significant contributions to the field of solid state physics. He is best known for his textbook "Introduction to Solid State Physics", which has been widely used as a textbook for students and researchers in the field.

3. What are some applications of solid state physics?

Solid state physics has many practical applications, including the development of electronic devices such as transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits. It also plays a crucial role in the development of new materials with specific properties for use in various industries, such as electronics, energy, and materials science.

4. What are some key concepts covered in "Introduction to Solid State Physics"?

The book covers a wide range of topics, including crystal structures, electronic band structure, lattice vibrations, and electrical and thermal properties of solids. It also discusses key phenomena such as magnetism, superconductivity, and semiconductors, as well as applications of these concepts in various fields.

5. Is "Introduction to Solid State Physics" suitable for beginners?

While the book can be challenging for beginners, it is considered a classic textbook in the field and is widely used by students and researchers. It provides a comprehensive overview of the fundamental concepts and principles of solid state physics, making it an excellent resource for anyone interested in the subject.