Understanding the Physics of Spinning: Exploring Centrifugal Force and Friction

• Thread starter nos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spinning
In summary: The other force is the centrifugal force. The centrifugal force is trying to rotate the person about his center of mass. The person needs to lean back to counter this effect.
nos
Hi all,

I was wondering if one on you could answer this question.

Imagine a person standing on a spinning merry go round. The friction exerted by the floor is the centrifugal force that keeps the person spinning in a circle. As the speed is building up, the person needs to lean back more and more because i guess the friction force on his feet would tend to rotate the person about his centre of mass and this effect needs to be canceled by gravity. But the gravity exerts a force in the centre of mass so it can't offset the moment created by the friction. So why does the person need to lean back?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I just realized, there is a normal force acting on the shoes of the person which could cancel the moment of the friction force

nos said:
Hi all,

I was wondering if one on you could answer this question.

Imagine a person standing on a spinning merry go round. The friction exerted by the floor is the centrifugal force that keeps the person spinning in a circle. As the speed is building up, the person needs to lean back more and more because i guess the friction force on his feet would tend to rotate the person about his centre of mass and this effect needs to be canceled by gravity. But the gravity exerts a force in the centre of mass so it can't offset the moment created by the friction. So why does the person need to lean back?

The frictional force exerted by the floor on the person's feet is a centripetal force. But that's just terminology.

You are looking at this problem in terms of balancing torques. That is a valid way to proceed. You have chosen to use an axis of rotation at the person's center of mass. That is also a valid way to proceed. You have correctly identified the horizontal frictional force of the merry go round on the person's feet is one torque about this axis. You have correctly realized that gravity does not produce any torque about this axis.

But there is another force being applied to the person. Can you identify that force?

Edit. I see you have realized this yourself.

Last edited:

1. What is person/object spinning?

Person/object spinning is a phenomenon where a person or object rotates or spins rapidly around an axis or point. It can occur naturally, such as in the case of spinning objects in space, or it can be intentionally induced through various techniques such as dance or performance art.

2. What causes person/object spinning?

The cause of person/object spinning can vary depending on the context. In nature, it can be due to the laws of physics such as angular momentum or gravitational forces. In human performance, it can be a result of specific movements or techniques, or it can be induced through the use of external forces like ropes or pulleys.

3. What are the potential risks or dangers of person/object spinning?

There are inherent risks involved in person/object spinning, especially if it is done without proper training or safety precautions. These risks can include dizziness, loss of balance and falls, muscle strains or injuries, and collisions with other objects or people. It is essential to practice caution and follow safety guidelines when engaging in person/object spinning activities.

4. What are the benefits of person/object spinning?

Aside from being visually appealing and entertaining, person/object spinning can have various benefits. It can improve coordination, balance, and body awareness. It can also be a form of physical exercise, promoting cardiovascular health and strength. In addition, it can be a creative form of expression and can also have meditative and stress-relieving effects.

5. Can anyone engage in person/object spinning?

While some people may have a natural inclination or talent for person/object spinning, it is a skill that can be learned and practiced by anyone. However, it is essential to have proper training, guidance, and safety measures in place to avoid injury and achieve the best results. Certain medical conditions or physical limitations may also make person/object spinning unsuitable for some individuals.