Transfer of knowledge: machine to brain

In summary, the author is questioning the feasibility of transferring knowledge directly from brain to brain. They believe that this is impossible due to the differences in brain states between individuals. However, they suggest that a decoder could be built that would allow for this transfer. Additionally, the author questions the feasibility of transferring information due to the encoding problem. They believe that this is more difficult than decoding, but still possible with the help of machine learning.
Skhandelwal
i tried searching for it on google but couldn't get the right term. Do you guys know of any research going on trying to transfer knowledge directly into brain like chip?

Biology news on Phys.org
Should I take it as no major funding going on on this subject?

It isn't happening anytime soon.

I am curious about it
rather I am more interested in knowing about brain to brain data transfer.

When I read this forum knowledge is transferred from my computer to my brain but maybe the same doesn't happen when you read it.

Cincinnatus said:
When I read this forum knowledge is transferred from my computer to my brain but maybe the same doesn't happen when you read it.

lol it happens with all curious and creaive people. I am talking about brain to brain data transfer directly.

Strictly speaking knowledge isn't transferred. It's your brain that's interpreting the symbols you see and giving it meaning which you see as knowledge.

Defennder said:
Strictly speaking knowledge isn't transferred. It's your brain that's interpreting the symbols you see and giving it meaning which you see as knowledge.

Dear friend

Any data for that matter,may not be specifically knowledge. but can we be able to transfer from brain to brain by any means with or without ane hitech device... is what i am curious all about
For I firmly believe that thers nothing more strong ,speedy,imperceptible, than human mind in this known universe so how will it work if one combines rather synchonises to higher level and use the powerful combination of Mind Brain & heart added to it. ?

Cincinnatus said:
What would it mean to "transfer data directly from brain to brain"? We can assume that "data" in the brain amounts to some spatial-temporal pattern of activation across many neurons. This is a very reasonable assumption to make in light of what we know about neuroscience.

There's no way to reproduce the same spatial-temporal pattern of activation in a different brain since all brains are different, the cells are not all the in the same places and have different connections between them. So transferring information this way is a nonstarter.

How can we get around this problem. Well what we care about isn't the activity pattern itself, we care about the information. It seems likely that for any piece of information that we are capable of learning, then there will be a corresponding pattern of activity for each person, though this will likely not be the same pattern across people.

So what we need is a decoder. A black box that we can input "brain states" and will output "semantic information". This black box will need to be highly person specific. Maybe even situation specific in other ways as well.

How could we build such a machine? One route that people have been going has been to utilize techniques from machine learning. Say we have some machine that measures brain activity (like an fMRI scanner). We put a person in this machine and we have them do a large number of "training tasks". For example, say we want to build a machine that can always beat you in card games by cheating and "reading your brain" to see which cards you have. We would first individually have you look at each card and have our machine record the state of the relevant parts of your brain when you look at that particular card. Then we could have the machine read your brain later and return which card you are looking at. This would work as long as the particular "brain state to information mapping" is stable over time.

You might say that is kind of cheating. This machine can only decode what you're thinking if it's been trained on the exact same information that it will be decoding. Luckily, this difficulty can be overcome by techniques from machine learning. Recent work has shown that it is possible to categorize over a billion novel images from V1 activity measured using fMRI (see Gallant et al 2008).

So let's pretend now that we have a universal decoder that works for converting any brain-state to its corresponding semantic state. Let us also pretend that we have dealt with the issues of context that may cause the same brain state to correspond to different demantic states in different situations.

Now if we still want to transfer information from brain to brain we encounter the encoding problem. It is not clear if this is more difficult than decoding or not. The same machine learning procedure would work. We need to decode the mapping from brain states to semantic states for both participants and convert the information appropriately.

The final step is to bring about the activity pattern corresponding to the new knowledge in the recipient subject. This is a more difficult problem and it is one that is not well understood. The most similar device that I am aware of is the cochlear implant. Unlike a regular hearing aid which merely amplifies sounds. The cochlear implant directly stimulates the auditory nerve in a way that the brain can interpret as sound.

But what does this mean the brain "interprets the pattern of stimulation as a sound". The cochlear implant always does the same thing, there is a direct mapping from the frequency of its vibration due to sounds and the stimulation that it provides the auditory nerve. Inititially this is not sufficient for hearing. There is a learning period in which the brain comes to interpret this new pattern of stimulation as hearing sounds. That is, the brain learns the mapping from auditory nerve stimulation to sounds in the world. The brain is actually on its own performing a similar decoding procedure to what our decoding machine would have done to beat us in that card game.

It is possible that we could use a similar device to bring about any brain state in another person. IF (and this is a huge if) this is indeed doable it would then be in the realm of speculative possibility that we could link such a device to the appropriate decoding and encoding machines and only THEN could we transfer information "directly" from brain to brain.

Dear friend

Thnx for such a nice information.

What I wanted to say is like this-

Say a baby is crying ok? now the moment baby's mother touches him/her . it pacifies him/her. a sort of touch healing. may be this is why when we shake hands with purely powerful people or very strong minded or say highly confident people we feel certain vibrations ( is it their aura/energy waves?) that to some extent leave effect on us.

something of that sort. its like transferring positive energy with data packets or so...

well thnx for again.
have a nice day.

ar_diamonds said:
Say a baby is crying ok? now the moment baby's mother touches him/her . it pacifies him/her. a sort of touch healing. may be this is why when we shake hands with purely powerful people or very strong minded or say highly confident people we feel certain vibrations ( is it their aura/energy waves?) that to some extent leave effect on us.

something of that sort. its like transferring positive energy with data packets or so...

The scientific basis of charisma is not well understood. As for "auras" and "energy waves" this is new age nonsense.

1. What is transfer of knowledge from machine to brain?

Transfer of knowledge from machine to brain refers to the process by which information or skills are transmitted from a machine or artificial intelligence system to the human brain.

2. How does transfer of knowledge from machine to brain work?

This process typically involves using advanced technologies such as brain-computer interfaces or neural implants to directly input information into the brain or stimulate certain areas of the brain to learn and adapt to new knowledge or skills.

3. What are the potential applications of transfer of knowledge from machine to brain?

The potential applications of this technology are vast and can range from enhancing human cognitive abilities to treating neurological disorders and disabilities.

4. What are the ethical considerations surrounding transfer of knowledge from machine to brain?

There are many ethical concerns surrounding this technology, including issues of privacy, consent, and potential exploitation of individuals. It is important for responsible and ethical guidelines to be established and followed in the development and implementation of these technologies.

5. What are the current limitations of transfer of knowledge from machine to brain?

While there have been significant advancements in this field, there are still many limitations to overcome, such as the accuracy and reliability of the technology, potential side effects, and the potential impact on individual autonomy and agency.